Permission to leave Argentina with Child

lovelife

Registered
Wondering if anyone knows whether permission is needed to leave AR to go to Uruguay with my son who is under 18. We are both US citizens here for the holidays and did not leave the US with a notarized letter from my son´s father stating that it was ok to travel to Argentina (although he is fully aware and ok with it, just didn´t know that this could be an issue)... The US does not require it to exit the country and I was not asked upon entering Argentina. However, a friend of mine here believes I will not be able to travel for the weekend to Uruguay and back to Argentina without one...is this true? Will I also need one to leave Argentina and return to the US after the holidays? Isn´t this just a requirement for Argentine Citizens? Thanks in advance for your help!

If he has a passport and his visa hasn't run out don't' worry about it. IF..if they ask just say his father is already in Uruguay or he's sick at home. I don't think they are going to spend the money and/or time investigating this. Not for foreigner and her kid vacationing in Uruguay.

Theoretically you are meant to travel with a notarised form with the non-travelling parents signature to say they can travel with you. I went through the rigarmarole (and notary costs) of getting one years ago to travel to Argentina and noone asked for it. There is info about the form on Argentinean consulate websites (somewhere).

This trip to Argie I am not bothering (famous last words????). I have a copy of my daughter's birth certificate to show she is my child (she has a different surname). I really don't think it is an issue, but the formal thing is that you are meant to have this notarised form.

Hi Ba Barrio Buscador, have u ever traveled abroad from Argentina with your daughter?

I took my son(3) to the Uk for a holiday and HAD to have apostiled documents ,and YEs they asked to see them and doubled checked them,so err on the side of caution

It's only applicable if the child is born in Argnetina....not for foreign born tourists.

Celia said:
It's only applicable if the child is born in Argnetina....not for foreign born tourists.
Yes. However if you or your child have an Argie DNI then you fall under AR law and will be required to have said letter even if you are US citizens. If you are US tourists then , NO.

Celia said:

Actually it's international -- to stop child-abduction -- UN-sanctioned I believe.

My sister-in-law is Dutch, Canadian resident. She flew to Holland with her son and the letter in hand from my brother saying she was allowed to travel. They checked on the way out, everything fine.

On the way back, she had thrown out the letter -- she assumed since she was going BACK to Canada that there would be no problems (my nephew has a Canadian passport, she had her Canadian resident card, they show the same address etc). They wouldn't let her on the plane.

It took 1 or 2 days and lots of faxing and $$ to get the proper documentation and notarization to get a letter back to Holland that they would recognise as legal (it took some convincing for them to accept a fax instead of the original)

I would call ahead if I were you, or at least go with a lot of patience -- the problem is that a lot depends on the customs agent you get, and although you may have no problem on the way out, you might just get the wrong agent on the way back and end up stuck in uruguay until you have a document

Back