Pesos to Dollars/Euros

mariposa said:
I am in New York for an extended period of time. I use my Argentine debit card to pay for everything - supermarket purchases, restaurants, theater tickets - everything. Even an office visit to my dentist.

enjoy the benefit while it lasts , because its clearly not in agreement with the current AFIP regulations, perhaps your bank is lax?:confused:

Rich One said:
To withdraw dollars from an ATM say in the USA with an argentine CC you must have a Dollar Account, also cannot prepay the credit card anymore. The Dollars you get to travel from AFIP must be returned if do not travel.

The rate you get for pesos in Uruguay or Chile is the same or worse as you get locally in a cueva, if you consiser the travel expenses.

This is not correct. You can prepay your CC, what you cannot do is prepay the usd on your cc to guarantee a certain exchange rate. To withdraw dollars from an ATM with a CC you do not need a any dollar account, that is needed if you use a debit card. Cash withdrawals with CC are limited to 10% of your limit tho.

nikad said:
This is not correct. You can prepay your CC, what you cannot do is prepay the usd on your cc to guarantee a certain exchange rate. To withdraw dollars from an ATM with a CC you do not need a any dollar account, that is needed if you use a debit card. Cash withdrawals with CC are limited to 10% of your limit tho.

Nikad ...seems I misunderstood the AFIP regulations, then there is no problem, one can pay purchases with the CC up to the limit, but withdraw only 10% of your cash advance limit (per day?).

Rich One said:
enjoy the benefit while it lasts , because its clearly not in agreement with the current AFIP regulations, perhaps your bank is lax?:confused:

I would assume Mariposa has a dollar account here in Argentina. If that is the case, no issue in taking out those dollars via her debit card during her stay in the US. Dollar to Dollar, no hay problemas.

If it were a peso account, then she would not be able to take out dollars in the US (or if she were doing so, her bank would be in violation of current rules).

I would assume Mariposa has a dollar account here in Argentina. If that is the case, no issue in taking out those dollars via her debit card during her stay in the US. Dollar to Dollar, no hay problemas.

If it were a peso account, then she would not be able to take out dollars in the US (or if she were doing so, her bank would be in violation of current rules).

actually i do have a dollar account but no dollars in it since i can no longer buy any at the official rate. so every time i pay with my argentine debit card it is taken directly out of my peso savings account. last month i used it the same way in mexico, 2 months ago in spain and france.

But you aren't taking dollars out of the ATM correct?
correct. that is a different issue. all i am saying is that i frequently use my arg. debit card to pay for purchases made abroad. some one has suggested that that is against AFIP regulations, which i doubt is the case.

Rich One said:
Nikad ...seems I misunderstood the AFIP regulations, then there is no problem, one can pay purchases with the CC up to the limit, but withdraw only 10% of your cash advance limit (per day?).
unfortunately it is 10 per cent cash advance in a 30 day period...

mariposa said:
correct. that is a different issue. all i am saying is that i frequently use my arg. debit card to pay for purchases made abroad. some one has suggested that that is against AFIP regulations, which i doubt is the case.

Well obviously I misunderstood the AFIP regulations, why do people complain if they can purchase abroad on an arg debit card?, at the official rate, as long as they have a balance in pesos in the checking account. :confused:

I give up:)

Back