Pet transportation questions...

cujodu said:
I arrived in March 2008 from California with my dog and everything I had read up to that point only said to use a USDA approved vet, he gave me a form from the USDA that was my dog's health certificate and that's what I presented at the airport here and they passed me on thru, no problems. Interesting. Anyone else?

Like EvergreenGal, I had to get my USDA form stamped and signed by the USDA State Veterinarian. The local vet I took my cats to was accredited by the USDA, but there is the additional step required to send that form (after your vet signs it) to the "State Veterinarian" for his endorsement. I don't know why they need to verify your forms after an accredited vet signs it, but there is a place on the form for the State Veterinarian's endorsement (just under where your signature goes).

EvergreenGal said:
I am very curious...it was not required to micro chip when I brought our cat...I just googled and it says it's not required...I really would like to know IF this is required...either coming in or leaving...what's the best source for info on this???

Best (or at least official) source I have found so far is http://www.senasa.gov.ar/contenido.php?to=n&in=739&io=5187
They have bilingual information and were also helpful and friendly on the phone.

My experience is that microchipping is definately required these days if travelling with your pet. The purpose is not so much if you lose your pet, but rather to identify the documents supporting the vaccinations match specifically to your pet at customs entry and exit. That being said, I honestly can not remember if SENSA scanned our cat to verify her chip number. It was very late, I was very tired and I think the SENSA gentleman was also very tired. : )
However, in Germany - when the official vet prepared her health certificate - he did scan her to verify her chip number.
It's one of those things that you might as well have it, than not have it to make life easier. The technology is also not that old. For instance when we moved from Australia to Bangkok in 2005 the cat was not chipped (tatoo in her ear was enough). When we moved from Bangkok to Munich in 2008 the microchip was required.

Back