Pick pocketed

va2ba

Registered
Just had someone swipe my pocket of my passport, visa debit card and almost all the cash that I have while walking down Avenida Las Heras today. I didn't even notice it happen. Just reach down and it wasn't there anymore.

Serves me right for carrying it in my pocket though. Now I've had to go to the police station, file a report, call my bank, ask my parents to wire money to my wife and I have to apply for a new passport......

So not what I needed right now.

It'll be ok, but God this is annoying...

The good thing is that it's done. That only happens once in a person's life, now you know, Be Aware, Alert and Smart!
Nancy

This is unfortunate for you and it looks like it's time to remind expats not to carry their passport in the streets...just a photocopy. I even used a photocopy a number of times when making purchases with a credit card.

And a photocopy is even good enough to make a police report (for any reason).

I do hope you have one.

No, not South America, it can happen anywhere! Steve's right, photo copies, separate your stuff and carry only what you need.
Nancy

steveinbsas said:
This is unfortunate for you and it looks like it's time to remind expats not to carry their passport in the streets...just a photocopy. I even used a photocopy a number of times when making purchases with a credit card.

And a photocopy is even good enough to make a police report (for any reason).

I do hope you have one.

I needed my actual passport because I was going to pay our health insurance using my debit card, and they will only process the payment if I show up with my passport in hand. They won't accept a photocopy.

Its the only time I have gone out with my passport that long since I got here.

And, here's the kicker. When on the phone with my bank in a locutorio, someone managed to swipe my wife's cellphone...

Bad day indeed.

Maybe a system could be worked out with local businesses and government, having your passport officially copied with a seal, so you can walk around without worrying about your real passport? I am certain it could be managed without too much red tape and bureaucracy.

Back