Picking up my books at the Correo Argentino in Retiro

sesamosinsal

Registered
Living in Argentina is great... until you have to deal with its institutions. After my experience today, I feel like I need to be admitted to an insane asylum. ;)

This afternoon I strolled in there to pick up my stuff. The place is absolute chaos. There are no directions for anything. Everyone is just standing around, picking their noses. I ask people questions, and they just point me in any direction so that I stop bothering them.

So, what the heck do I do? There are two rooms, one big and another smaller one. I only saw one ticket dispenser in the smaller room with the employees. Is that the one that I use?

Regarding fees: One of the signs said that I wouldn't be able to pick up my package if I hadn't paid the fees. So, do I essentially have to spend entire afternoon in the post office, (1) waiting an eternity to get someone to calculate the fees and (2) returning with the payment receipt to pick up the package?

Ugh, what a nightmare... Thanks in advance for any advice...

Yes, you will have to spend all morning and afternoon there. You take a number when you first walk into the small room. Once your number is called, you give the person the notice that was sent to you and then you'll pay whatever applicable fees. They'll give you a number and then you go wait for that number to be called in the big room.

Once your number is called, you go through a door in front and they'll direct you to where your package is. They'll probably ask you what is in it and they might open it. If I'm not mistaken, depending on what is in the package, you might have to pay more on your way out.

Thanks, Hop. Do I pay the fees there? Do I have to leave and go to a branch of Banco de La Nacion? Or is there a BLN inside the post office somewhere?

Aww, it's really not SO bad. Last time I went (barring power outages!) I was in and out in around an hour. It does take a little getting used to, and I can't help but always get a kick out of the pulley system they use. Good luck, and remember to listen carefully for your number to be called over that muffled PA system in the second room--the numbers are usually around 5 digits:)

ETA: Just bring some cash (pesos) and your passport. The fees are usually nominal, and you pay at the desk.

I went to pick up a package & I have to say, I didn't find it at all complicated. I waited a bit. But I brought my book but the whole thing took under an hour.

You go in the small room, take a number. When the call you, give them your slip. Bring your ID. They will do something in the computer & give you the paper back and point to a number on it (I don't remember if the # is on there already or if they add it). ANyway, pay attention to that #. Then you go into the big room & wait for them to call your # over the loud speaker. They talk very fast & the sound system is not great. So I just listen for the last 3 or 4 #s.

When they call your # you go through the doors on the right & give them your paper. They will get you package & take you to a desk to "calculate your taxes". Since you are getting books you won't have any taxes. You should just get your package now. Just before you leave the door to go out with your package there is where they will ask you to pay some "fee". It's like 5 or 10 pesos or something. You pay that & they stamp your paper & out the door you go! Whew! ;)

It's not so bad really.

bradlyhale said:
Thanks, Hop. Do I pay the fees there? Do I have to leave and go to a branch of Banco de La Nacion? Or is there a BLN inside the post office somewhere?

You pay the fees there.

Get there as early as possible, yes you could be lucky and have everything in an hour but I have spent 4-5 hours there, then as those thoughts invade your head 'what if they've already called my number?' 'what happens when they close and I still don't have a package or the original slip?' you'll understand the true evilness of this 'system', I'm sure it's against the Geneva convention.

Reactions: Hop
pauper said:
Get there as early as possible, yes you could be lucky and have everything in an hour but I have spent 4-5 hours there, then as those thoughts invade your head 'what if they've already called my number?' 'what happens when they close and I still don't have a package or the original slip?' you'll understand the true evilness of this 'system', I'm sure it's against the Geneva convention.

YES. Can't even go to the bathroom for fear of missing that precious number...

Yes, and for more expensive taxes they have a small office of the bank inside too if I recall.

A good tip : show up ten minutes before they close (5 pm?), because it's the universal magic of the administration anywhere in the world = they really speed things up once they know they are about to leave (less regarding too about the packages...).

Reactions: Hop
Back