Pickpockets On The C Line...

When I get on the subway there are some people that you can see are worried about going to work or doing something, there are some other faces that are like spending the time well I try to keep an eye on those guys to see what they do and the other day I when I was getting off one guy came to me but when he saw I had seen him before he just left. Try not to use bagpacks, flip flops shoes, hide cameras and don`t get into the crowd, iam a local but we also have surprises every now and then.

And try not to use jewels I have seen people with expensive watches and brazalets walking down the street in Barrio Norte, in fact try not to be an easy target.

[font=Arial"]It's the age old story, what's the differnce between a tourist and a travellers, put simply it's the 'look'. The tourist look usually screams ‘look at me’, but the traveller has the under the radar look, so advise your guests to ditch the Gucci gear and adopt the neutral look.[/font]

[font=Arial"]Someone else mentioned mobile phones. I’m presuming you have a phone card system there so advise them to have one handy. If that’s not the case, well shop owners in my experience will always help out. I have yet to work out why people who are on holidays insist on carrying mobiles anyway! OCD springs to mind, but I won’t go there! :rolleyes: The same applies to any technical stuff.[/font]

[font=Arial"]Make yourself familiar with the environment. I have already bought my BA map for dummies, and between that and google earth have spent time looking into the north, south and west of BA. There is no problem to my mind in taking a map on your travels, but use common sense when reading it. Pull in to a coffee shop and read it there. Why not book a walking tour within the first few days of arrival! As for public transport, grab a seat if you can, or stand with your back to the wall. If you find anyone pawing you, for lord’s sake make a fuss about it that will attract attention. Whilst I appreciate that these guys (the pick pockets) are good at what they do, most people I have spoken too when questioned say they knew something was going on, but were too embarrassed/scared to make a fuss.[/font]

[font=Arial"]It all comes down to basic common sense with some planning for flavour. I hate to say it, but the majority of people I have known to get ripped off have set themselves up to be prime targets, sad but true.[/font]

Not even here yet and already blaming the crime victims in Capital? Be careful that when you're here, karma doesn't come 'round and bite you in the ass. You're post reeks of naivety and arrogance.

Yeah, somehow I don't think the victims are at fault for assholes breaking the law. Even if they weren't street smart. Even if they didn't have the "look". Educating people is great, blaming is not.

That said, I'm a woman who dresses in jeans and t-shirts, so I think I stand out like a sore thumb 'round here, but somehow I've never had a problem. Of course, I rarely have anything of value on me, but they don't know that.

this "dress this way and look like this" topic always gets to me...

i work in the microcenter area and my commute is a 25 minute wak to/from work. i see people in work clothes, uniforms, suit & tie, t shirts, nice clothes, dirty clothes, flip flops/sandals, nice shoes, old shoes, huge platform shoes, jeans/denim, dresses and everything in between.

where do you folks live that everyone wears this "locals only" uniform that makes it so easy to tell who is who?

It all comes down to basic common sense with some planning for flavour. I hate to say it, but the majority of people I have known to get ripped off have set themselves up to be prime targets, sad but true.

Seriously? That's 100% inaccurate. The majority of people who are victims of crimes here aren't tourists - they are people who live here.

I go to work in a suit & tie most days. Carry my laptop in a courier bag over my shoulder. I have an "expensive" watch and cell phone. I take public transportation.

Here's what I do to even the odds:
1. Wallet always goes in the front pocket.
2. Courier bag gets swung to the front.
3. My hands go in my pockets.
4. I stand facing people.
5. I always make eye contact and hold it (with everyone who looks at me). Don't do the "Oh, sorry ... I didn't mean to look at you" look-a-way.
6. Scan the crowd for people who are scanning the crowd.
7. If there is a "commotion" i get on guard. This includes old people falling down, arguments, people lost, etc.
8. I never never never never put my bag on the floor.
9. I have backups of everything in my laptop, my cell phone, and my wallet.
10. I relax and enjoy the practically free ride on public transportation.

GS

this "dress this way and look like this" topic always gets to me...

i work in the microcenter area and my commute is a 25 minute wak to/from work. i see people in work clothes, uniforms, suit & tie, t shirts, nice clothes, dirty clothes, flip flops/sandals, nice shoes, old shoes, huge platform shoes, jeans/denim, dresses and everything in between.

where do you folks live that everyone wears this "locals only" uniform that makes it so easy to tell who is who?

If you have ever gotten on to public transport and seen someone that you can pretty much 100% guarantee they are a tourist, then that person is probably more likely to be a target of petty theft than a local, particularly if they look like they dont have their wits about them.

It's easy for an expat to point out all the things a tourist is doing wrong. I've lived here 6 years and, touch wood, never been pickpocketed.
But my guests visit for between 4 days and a couple of weeks. It's impossible to train them fully to prepare for all aspects of petty scamming and theft here. For example, even before they arrive I send them an email advising them to only take authorised taxis from the booths outside arrivals at Ezeiza....now I have to warn them not to use Manuel Tienda Leon who overcharge and to make sure they pay the correct fare, to make sure they get a receipt etc... The thieves are always one step ahead and petty crime seems to be increasing.

pickpockets are called PUNGAS.Most of them are Chileans.Theres also some Peruvians.The following is a very useful website about PUNGAS, ¨Pungas en el subte de Buenos AIres¨ http://peesba.com.ar/

It's easy for an expat to point out all the things a tourist is doing wrong. I've lived here 6 years and, touch wood, never been pickpocketed.
But my guests visit for between 4 days and a couple of weeks. It's impossible to train them fully to prepare for all aspects of petty scamming and theft here. For example, even before they arrive I send them an email advising them to only take authorised taxis from the booths outside arrivals at Ezeiza....now I have to warn them not to use Manuel Tienda Leon who overcharge and to make sure they pay the correct fare, to make sure they get a receipt etc... The thieves are always one step ahead and petty crime seems to be increasing.

Of course its easy, when I came here as a tourist for the first time made all the same mistakes and pretty sure most of us did. You just have to educate them as best you can which obviously your doing. Everyone is a target here especially the way petty crime (and crime in general) is on the way up, its just as a tourist your more of a target.

Back