Pixel 2, Google Fi , 2 phone numbers - 1 local, 1 US ??

bobg

Registered
I have a Pixel2 and Google Fi and I am convinced that I can have two numbers. Does anyone do this? Experience?

In the past when visiting here I used a Nexus 5 and just exchanged my US sim chip for my Personal chip. Of course that has obvious disadvantages but saved me a lot of money. This year when I arrived I brought both the Nexus 5 and the Pixel 2. I also discovered that for the first time ever the old sim no longer worked. I guess I hadn't used it or recharged it for too long. (I really don't understand what the rule is.) So I'd like to get rid of the local number. But then would people here have to pay roaming or long distance changes to call me? Is the guy trying to deliver my pizza but who can't read or find the address going to call me?

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks, Bob

You could also buy another sim. I have had good luck with movistar. Recently though I have T Mobile which is free international roaming and 50 cents a minute for any calls. But you are right receiving local calls is a problem

I don’t think dual sims work yet for Pixels. Maybe try voipvoip and use with their android app in the meantime. I may also try this out, but I’d have to get a better international data plan (very tempted by Google Fi, at the moment). Carrying two devices is a pain, especially with girl jeans with useless pockets.

....I also discovered that for the first time ever the old sim no longer worked. I guess I hadn't used it or recharged it for too long. (I really don't understand what the rule is.) ....
I was told by a clerk at the Movistar store on Santa Fe (circa 2000?) there is a 3-month "inactive" timeout on Movistar sims and nothing to be done about it. I suppose this applies only to tourist or temporary-use sims and not full-time plans.

Last edited:
I have a friend with Google Fi. Making calls to someone in the US from Argentina costs $0.20 a minute. On the other hand VOIP is typically $5 to $10 and is completely free. Google Fi is minimum $20/mo + $0.2 a minute + $10/gig data used.

Local argentina data is far less than $10/gig, so there is no point using Fi for data. Calling people in the US is far cheaper via any other means (skype, whatsapp, voip, etc). So, there is really not a niche that Google Fi fills, IMO

If I didn’t have to work and rely on my US cellular number for business calls and texts, I would totally go with switching out sims. I don’t have a choice but to have a US cellular and data plan until I retire in many years from now.

With Google Fi, if you have a phone that is optimized for Google Fi, you don’t pay extra for international calling or data. Your friend may have opted to use a non-optimized phone. This is also one of the reasons I’m only just tempted by Google Fi in order to reap the full benefits of the service (because I’d have to switch to an android phone, which is not my first choice).

With current mobile internet prices, I don't see much use for Google Fi, unless you travel a lot and don't want to be bothered buying local SIM cards in every place.

With a prepaid plan from Claro, for example, you can buy 1GB of data for about 2 USD and it expires in a week.

You can get an SMS enabled virtual phone number in the States (0.5 - 3USD) [1] [2] or in Argentina (~7USD) [1], and redirect to an app on your phone.

With current mobile internet prices, I don't see much use for Google Fi, unless you travel a lot and don't want to be bothered buying local SIM cards in every place.

With a prepaid plan from Claro, for example, you can buy 1GB of data for about 2 USD and it expires in a week.

You can get an SMS enabled virtual phone number in the States (0.5 - 3USD) [1] [2] or in Argentina (~7USD) [1], and redirect to an app on your phone.

Agreed, for people with less complications than me. Unfortunately, I can't change my number as my business completely relies on my current US cellular phone number. There does not seem to be a way to port my business number to a virtual provider, so until then...I'm stuck with paying outrageous prices compared to that of Argentina.

fi user here. i have only had a couple instances where not having a local number was an issue. 98 times out of 100 it's fine. people can use whatsapp to call or text me.

i much prefer to keep my US number because I've had it for a long time. i also travel often so i never have to worry about service using Fi

Back