Planning a move to BA. Needing job search tips

I would say that the vast majority of expats in Buenos Aires make their living outside of Argentina. Getting a job that pays you worth a damn is tough in Buenos Aires. I'm not saying it can't be done. However, you should prepare yourself for a rocky road and one that ultimately ends in failure. That's not me being pessimistic -- it's just a very, very real possibility.

One of my good friends in Buenos Aires, a U.S. citizen, landed a job working in a hostel. He literally got paid $2 an hour. 40 hours a week at 4 weeks..He wasn't even making rent.

Everyone has their own experiences but the truth is that its really hard to find a job in Buenos Aires. The hiring process is complicated and discriminatory to a level that I have never experienced. Its very old fashioned. Some companies even hire someone to visit your house and see the conditions you live in. It's been really hard for me to find a job in blanco and I even have a DNI and permanent residency.

If you are at the Univesity level and an educator, contact Lincoln School in BA. They are a private K thru 12 plus university, US type school in BA.

Try the Buenos Aires Herald on Sunday. Also, realize that if you move to the country and find a job you will be mostly like paid in Pesos at a local salary. Lincoln will pay you in Peso if you move here then get a job with them. Personal experience. I'm from Chicago and I will tell you it is easier to find work up there than down here.
If you want the experience of BA come down. Make sure you purchase a return ticket in case you want to go back to home or to the US. Being in BA has taught me that family and friends are important and patience is a virtue. I have also realized that you can not escape the collapse of your home country by running from it. I learn that if I take a lower standard of living I can find cheaper places to live if I return to the US and I won't be moving back to Chicago.
If you want to earn a better salary be sure to read this one: http://baexpats.org/newcomers-forum/2935-before-you-move-imporant-documents.html
The cost of things do rise. Try to have some support network either her or at home.

laineypainey said:
I think there seems to be a general misconception that people like me and the poster want to go to BA to find a job, not to LIVE. I want to go there to LIVE, working while I live is necessary but it isnt the reason I want to go there

Yeah but to live most people have to have money or an income. You won't be able to earn enough here to live is the point I think people are trying to make.

I agree with Bradly -- most expats that are down here brought their work with them, or got a transfer here. Or, they set up a business of their own, typically within the first couple of years after the crisis.

Truly don't underestimate the difficulty of finding a job in Buenos Aires. Even for a local with papers and full command of the language, they can look for months, if not a year, to find a job that pays decently. And don't think we're lying to you about how much you'll make as a waiter / cleaner / dishwasher / McJob. McJobs in the States pay salaries you can scrape by on. Waiters in the States make good tips. Here you make next to nothing, and as a foreigner getting cheap rent is difficult.

Why don't you just come down for a couple of months first before you commit?

I came down when the dollar was 2.8 to 1. It's now almost 4 - 1 but the prices are up so much that sometimes I wonder if it makes a difference. When I came down a set lunch with appy, main, coffee, and a drink could be had for 17 pesos. Now it's closer to 40. 4 years ago you could fill yourself with steaks and booze and 30 pesos was a big spend. Now we regularly spend 100 pesos a person for something similar. A movie entrance in 2005 was 8 pesos. Now it's 26 pesos. That's in 4 years.

I know you think everyone keeps saying no no no, but you're getting advice from a bunch of people who have been living here, and who are trying to tell you that all those magazine articles written in 2002 / 2003 are no longer true. By 2007 friends visiting me were already complaining that it wasn't as cheap here as they expected. So don't rely on ANY information on prices printed more than 6 months ago. Even since January a lot of products have jumped by 20% again.

Sure, move here if you want, just don't move here thinking 1) you'll have a job quickly, 2) that job will pay your rent, 3) You'll be enjoying the places you've read about in the guidebooks on your local salary.

The only people I know that go to the places in the guidebooks are people that come down as tourists. Everyone I know that lives here permanently may occasionally indulge themselves and go to some of those places, but most people I know don't. Most people I know are like me where most of their client base is in the USA and got hit by their economic crisis a lot of business dried up. I had a huge hit to my salary this year and it's now coming back, but I was earning about an Argentine professional's wages for 6 months or so, and could not indulge in anything. And I was earning good wages by local standards still, and I certainly wasn't enjoying the good life.

It's a nice city, but I'm here because I'm married to an Argentine. I have a job that allows me the flexibility to work from home and earn dollars. If that job was gone, I wouldn't go out and look for a job here. I'd tell my husband that we're getting on the first plane heading home.

I think what all of us are trying to point out is that it is VERY difficult to find a job - even for those who have legal citizenship and the right to work in Argentina. Can you do it - it's worth a try. But it is going to be very, very hard and if you don't have a substantial financial cushion, it is going to be almost impossible.

And this - I'm coming here to live! - makes me roll my eyes. Great - when you're earning a dollar or two an hour, living in a shitty hostel and working long hours for very little money while watching prices rise 30% - how much "living" do you think you're going to be doing?

syngirl said:
When I came down a set lunch with appy, main, coffee, and a drink could be had for 17 pesos. Now it's closer to 40. 4 years ago you could fill yourself with steaks and booze and 30 pesos was a big spend. Now we regularly spend 100 pesos a person for something similar. A movie entrance in 2005 was 8 pesos. Now it's 26 pesos. That's in 4 years.

By the way, when I say prices, and when other people say prices on this site, do not even bother doing the conversion into USD and saying "oh but that's only 10 bucks, that's only 30 bucks" etc -- because if you're going to be working a local wage, 40 pesos might as well be 40 bucks and 100 pesos might as well be 100 bucks.

Back