Plastic Bags Banned From 1St Jan

What a pain, what to use to throw away garbage.... must buy bolsas black ones...?

I found that the grocery store bags never fit my trash cans. They did work to pick up dog poop though... I understand why they're doing this but it's still annoying.

This is so not true! You must be joking, or have made a new year resolution of never saying anything negative about Argentina.

The restrooms in Retiro Mitre are among the worst I have seen in a long-distance train station of a capital.

It's not really a long distance train station (I know that technically it is) rather i'd consider it a commuter train station.

It's not really a long distance train station (I know that technically it is) rather i'd consider it a commuter train station.

You are right. But they have trains to Rosario and Tucuman. And it's one of the largest train stations in the country.

TomAtAlki:
Maybe I should have clarified that a little.
Dog droppings began to be picked up fairly well about 20 years ago with the passage of the "pooper scooper" law in 1996.
The public restrooms also to some degree but not in all barrios.
With the advent of Palermo as a favored neighborhood for foreigners since about 2002 that area has accquired whole new look
After you visit Colombia,please give me your impression.Please mention the cities or areas you have visited
.Bogota could be a small exception to what I said.

TomAtAlki:
Maybe I should have clarified that a little.
Dog droppings began to be picked up fairly well about 20 years ago with the passage of the "pooper scooper" law in 1996.
The public restrooms also to some degree but not in all barrios.
With the advent of Palermo as a favored neighborhood for foreigners since about 2002 that area has accquired whole new look
After you visit Colombia,please give me your impression.Please mention the cities or areas you have visited
.Bogota could be a small exception to what I said.

Depends on where you might be in Colombia. The ritzy sections of Medellin are very clean and nice. Centro (downtown) not so much. Same holds true in Bogota.

When I just got here, I decided to take go out with wife to Retiro and specifically, stupidly imagining that we'd be dealing with something along the lines of what I'd encountered in Europe - the Hauptbahnhof in most German cities, Gare du Nord in Paris. I could not understand for the life of me the horrified reaction the suggestion engendered.

Johnny :
True."Not so much" in downtown in the lower income shopping areas of Medellin and Bogota ( like Once here). But nothing comparable to the litter of BA micro-centro including calle Florida.I would extend that to a lot of Barrio Norte as well.
What surprised me in Colombia were Cali and Cartagena especially the latter.In spite of being on the Carribean and torrid most days ,it was markedly clean.

I found that the grocery store bags never fit my trash cans. They did work to pick up dog poop though... I understand why they're doing this but it's still annoying.

Then buy a trash container that uses the black and green bags for food waste and recyclables. I have two with pedals that automatically opens the top. The city provides FREE small black bags through your vet for pet excrement and at parks.

After three years using these degradable bags, most of the city residents haven't learned how to separate their trash because they aren't aware of the law. The city has 6,000 tons of trash daily transported to a landfill that sits there and disperses methane into the atmosphere. I collect my recyclable materials in a small container and carry it once a month to the local plaza where there is person on duty Wed-Sun from 16-20 hs who sorts it for collection or I can use the container at the same location.

I started taking photos of the garbage bags left on the sidewalk in my neighborhood and talking to the residents. There are unaware of the fines from 385 to 5,390 pesos, and up to 42,000 in the case of a consorcio. One building around the corner has a basket on the sidewalk. The residents didn't use the container across the street after a year and a half. I wrote a warning letter to them and posted it on the building with a flier from the city about the garbage rules. There hasn't been any more garbage left in the wire basket. When faced with the possibility of a fine, they acted accordingly. I'm going to do the same for five others buildings on my street.

Until the city starts enforcing the garbage laws with fines, nothing is going to change. My warning letter to one building got immediate response. They learned very quickly to use the container 15 feet from the door for disposing their garbage. Now the entire block of Matheu from Chile to Mexico is free of garbage bags.

I imagine this is true, unfortunally, this country is much larger than palermo and 5 miles around it........ by the same token i must say , i have never found a dirty restroon at any of the sheraton hotels i stayed .... :)

I imagine this is true, unfortunally, this country is much larger than palermo and 5 miles around it........ by the same token i must say , i have never found a dirty restroon at any of the sheraton hotels i stayed .... :)

Mckenna Sir - touche!!

Back