Please help me find answers to these questions.

irshad

Registered
I am new to this forum. This is my first post.
I apologize in advance if I am breaking any rules.

I have a BSc degree in Software Engineering with not a lot of experience (just graduating - 1-year internship).
I am not from a tier 1 country. I still need a tourist visa to travel to Argentina unlike many of you guys here.

I am one of the "above average" guys in terms of studies and all that, I can easily find a job in the best paying software company (where I did my internship) here. But I do not want that. It is boring. :(

I've been studying Spanish, but I am nowhere near where I want to be.

Let's say I decided to move to Argentina (please don't try to change my mind - I've seen worse corruption and bureaucracy here) what are my options?
Let's say I somehow got the 90-day tourist visa.

1) Can I get any sort of "development jobs" without Spanish skills to get my DNI? I've read there are international software development companies that don't require for you to speak Spanish to get a job. Is this true?

2) I do not want to overstay my tourist visa, is it possible to get a DNI via getting into an institute (masters? MBA? student visa) and search for jobs while attending classes? If so, is there a requirement to have Spanish language skills to get into any of these institutes?

Is there any other way for me to stay in the country "legally" long term?

Thank you for the answers.

Last edited:
For your first question, about getting a job without knowing Spanish, yes. Most software developers in Argentina have good educations and speak English. You'll have to network, be willing to start at the bottom, etc. But if you have the software skills they need, you can find something. Note that being a good student and having a BSc doesn't mean you know how to write code in the real world, so make sure you have some real world skills. Having your own side projects is good, and you should have a github profile.

There aren't a lot of software people on this forum, but over on reddit.com/r/argentina there are some, maybe that's a place to start. Also look on meetup.com, there are lots of software related meetups in Buenos Aires. You'll have to read some Spanish there on meetup.com to read about the meetups.

For your first question, about getting a job without knowing Spanish, yes. Most software developers in Argentina have good educations and speak English. You'll have to network, be willing to start at the bottom, etc. But if you have the software skills they need, you can find something. Note that being a good student and having a BSc doesn't mean you know how to write code in the real world, so make sure you have some real world skills. Having your own side projects is good, and you should have a github profile.

There aren't a lot of software people on this forum, but over on reddit.com/r/argentina there are some, maybe that's a place to start. Also look on meetup.com, there are lots of software related meetups in Buenos Aires. You'll have to read some Spanish there on meetup.com to read about the meetups.
Thank you @camel I really appreciate it.

Yes, i am knowledgable on how se companies work. (the company i did my internship is one of top tier SE company with 400+ engineers. I have actively participated in development and deployment of few real world projects.)

I will check the subreddit.

Thank you.

2) I do not want to overstay my tourist visa, is it possible to get a DNI via getting into an institute (masters? MBA? student visa) and search for jobs while attending classes? If so, is there a requirement to have Spanish language skills to get into any of these institutes?
Bump.
Guys, any idea about the second question? Is there any institution I can get into with without knowing a lot of Spanish, that can get me a DNI ?

If you enrol in a master's program (which, in your situation and since you'll be looking for a job, might also be a good way to create a network), you should be able to get a student's visa and a DNI. With the DNI you'll be able to get a CUIT/CUIL and therefore to work legally. You will need to renew your DNI every year showing proof that you are a regular student at the institution. The catch is that you need 3 renewals (3 years) to be able to apply for permanent residency and forget about renewals, student visas, etc. But I doubt there are any 3-year masters. You can always enrol in a 2-year masters program and then you have 2 years to figure it out (you might want to enrol in another program the 3rd year). This is probably the easiest way for you to stay in Argentina legally and acquire permanent residency in 3 years.

You will need to renew your DNI every year showing proof that you are a regular student at the institution. The catch is that you need 3 renewals (3 years) to be able to apply for permanent residency.

You can always enrol in a 2-year masters program and then you have 2 years to figure it out (you might want to enrol in another program the 3rd year). This is probably the easiest way for you to stay in Argentina legally and acquire permanent residency in 3 years.

It should be possible to apply for citizenship with the DNI, hopefully, without a lawyer and perhaps, as early as the beginning of your second year as a student. Unfortunately, I have no idea which institutions are likely to grant you admission.

PS: Whatever job you have at that point will probably suffice to demonstrate that you have an "honest means of living" (a requirement for citizenship).

If you enrol in a master's program (which, in your situation and since you'll be looking for a job, might also be a good way to create a network), you should be able to get a student's visa and a DNI. With the DNI you'll be able to get a CUIT/CUIL and therefore to work legally. You will need to renew your DNI every year showing proof that you are a regular student at the institution. The catch is that you need 3 renewals (3 years) to be able to apply for permanent residency and forget about renewals, student visas, etc. But I doubt there are any 3-year masters. You can always enrol in a 2-year masters program and then you have 2 years to figure it out (you might want to enrol in another program the 3rd year). This is probably the easiest way for you to stay in Argentina legally and acquire permanent residency in 3 years.

Thanks @bdk1
Yeah, masters is one way to go. Let's say if I get into masters and found a job while I was attending classes. Can't I go from student visa (DNI) to work visa and drop out of the uni? What I am asking is, is there a way to change the DNI type (student to work)? Does it make sense?

It should be possible to apply for citizenship with the DNI, hopefully, without a lawyer and perhaps, as early as the beginning of your second year as a student. Unfortunately, I have no idea which institutions are likely to grant you admission.

PS: Whatever job you have at that point will probably suffice to demonstrate that you have an "honest means of living" (a requirement for citizenship).
Thanks, @steveinbsas
As early as the beginning of the second year? wow. I thought we need at least a 2-year residency for citizenship.
Edit: Ha, I get it. I need to be resided in Argentina by the time citizenship is granted. So it is possible to apply after one year of residency. :)

Last edited:
Irshad said :-

Yeah, masters is one way to go. Let's say if I get into masters and found a job while I was attending classes. Can't I go from student visa (DNI) to work visa and drop out of the uni? What I am asking is, is there a way to change the DNI type (student to work)? Does it make sense?

ANSWER :-

DNI is equivalent to American Green card

Once you have DNI, you can work anywhere. However, to renew DNI in year 2, you will have to continue being a student OR be able to find a job which will tell immigration, that you are there employee ( in white), pay taxes for you, and then you may renew 2nd year as a employee rather than a student.

But lets take example 2. You are a student. You get a DNI ( basis being a student) but now you start working as a waiter in a restaurant. The restaurant does not and will not care to be your sponsor for work permit. So in year 2, you will have to continue being a student.

If you will come with your wife, maybe have a kid with her in 9 months and apply for citizenship for kid and permanent residency for yourself.

--

On another note, Argentina is not very friendly in giving tourist visas to people from 3rd world countries, especially if you are not a frequent foreign traveler. They normally ask you "You have not been to USA or UK but you want to go to Argentina? So don't count too much on advice here till you actually have a tourist visa. Once you have tourist visa, its valid for 3 months to use it first time..so you can then start making your strategies. Don't think too far for now. Get the tourist visa first.

DNI is equivalent to American Green card

Once you have DNI, you can work anywhere. However, to renew DNI in year 2, you will have to continue being a student OR be able to find a job which will tell immigration, that you are there employee ( in white), pay taxes for you, and then you may renew 2nd year as a employee rather than a student.

But lets take example 2. You are a student. You get a DNI ( basis being a student) but now you start working as a waiter in a restaurant. The restaurant does not and will not care to be your sponsor for work permit. So in year 2, you will have to continue being a student.
Thanks @Ceviche Got it :D

On another note, Argentina is not very friendly in giving tourist visas to people from 3rd world countries, especially if you are not a frequent foreign traveler. They normally ask you "You have not been to USA or UK but you want to go to Argentina? So don't count too much on advice here till you actually have a tourist visa. Once you have tourist visa, its valid for 3 months to use it first time..so you can then start making your strategies. Don't think too far for now. Get the tourist visa first.
Yeah, this is something I am reading a lot about these days. Would having some funds (financial proof) and round-ticket help? I am going to have to find a solid answer to that question.

Is there any other way for me to stay in the country "legally" long term?

Hi Irshad. You always can get a temporary visa. I do not have personal expereice in this type of DNI but know somedy who did it, can bring details if you are interested. The idea is to get a student visa but not sposored by Uni, instead you can start some course (hobby or professional) it can be even free\municipal to sponsore your visa. For example, 2 year tango classes hour\day might work out! And you will have all the day left to work and live. Also you can show your tango school for visa initially so no Embassy will wonder, why you need Argentina, it will be clear a culture loving thing.

Masters is a good thing, but I doubt it is possible to support yoorself being part time "student" worker. I know a lot of parents here who fully support their grow up children while they are studying in BA, Cordoba etc name it, there is a reason for it.

Back