Please help me find some things:

mini

Registered
Hello to all,
We have finally settled into our apartment but there are few things that I'm looking for:

1. Cleaning lady: We really need a cleaning lady in Palermo two days a week 3/4 hours a day. Does anyone know of someone? They can't be afraid of dogs. Also can someone point me in the right direction of how to make sure we are employing this person legally.

2. A Carpenter (?): I think I need a carpenter. Basically I have some tables that are too light for the wood floors. I'd like to get them sanded and stained darker. Does anyone have any hints?

3. A 'local' or workshop: I'm looking for a place to rent where I can work either a shared (or not) studio/workshop. Any hints on how to find one? All my leads so far have gone no where.

4. Self Storage: We have some things in storage at a warehouse. But its quite far away and if I need anything I have to have someone pull out the "box" with a fork lift & put it back. It would be great if I could find a self access storage unit, if they exist.

5. Used furniture not antiques: Just something that I won't feel bad if I saw it or if it gets ruined for my (eventual) work space & something pretty but not too expensive for use as storage in the kitchen & dinning room.

Any tips/leads/hints would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If you employ domestic staff under 6 hours a week you don't have to go through the hassle of registering with AFIP to pay taxes. Mightsave you hassle to keep it down to 5 hours a week.

For a storage space, you can try the newspaper´s classified ads, look for a "baulera" that is up for rent. Many buildings have individual storage spaces, that some people don´t use so they are rented out, try to find one in a building close to your area.

For both refinishing, and buying cheap furniture, go to the Pulgas.
There are several guys there who refinish furniture all day long, I am sure you can cut a deal, and there are fletas parked right outside waiting to transport youf stuff.

Lots of good deals there for simple furniture, too. You might have to go regularly, but if you are in Palermo, it aint far.

As for sharing studio space- try going to the art departments at the universities. Artists are who you want to ask. Especially starving student artists.

Ries said:
For both refinishing, and buying cheap furniture, go to the Pulgas.
There are several guys there who refinish furniture all day long, I am sure you can cut a deal, and there are fletas parked right outside waiting to transport youf stuff.

Lots of good deals there for simple furniture, too. You might have to go regularly, but if you are in Palermo, it aint far.

I imagine that is a flea market? I haven't heard of that. Can you tell me where/when it is?

As for sharing studio space- try going to the art departments at the universities. Artists are who you want to ask. Especially starving student artists.

You've hit upon part of my problem. The starving artists studios are quite far away. And the other part of the dilemma* is that I can pay more than the starving artists but less than renting a local by myself in Palermo.... :/ I'll keep asking the starving artists... Maybe one has rich parents! ;) But please (please,please,please) keep the suggestions coming & an ear open for me.

*Isn't there an "n" in dilemma?

mini said:
I imagine that is a flea market? I haven't heard of that. Can you tell me where/when it is?

The mercado de las pulgas (flea market) is on Dorrego a few blocks from Cordoba. You can take Linea D to Est Ministro Carranza. Come up from the station and cross the RR tracks. It's about a six block walk from Av Santa Fe. It was closed for a while. Does anyone know if it is now open? I think it's closed on Mondays but its usually open Tuesday-Sunday (starting at noon).

email me if you are interested. she is very trustworthy, does a great job cleaning and doesnt waste time. and she also likes dogs, so i dont think you would have a problem.
let me know.
[email protected]

mini said:
Hello to all,
We have finally settled into our apartment but there are few things that I'm looking for:

1. Cleaning lady: We really need a cleaning lady in Palermo two days a week 3/4 hours a day. Does anyone know of someone? They can't be afraid of dogs. Also can someone point me in the right direction of how to make sure we are employing this person legally.

2. A Carpenter (?): I think I need a carpenter. Basically I have some tables that are too light for the wood floors. I'd like to get them sanded and stained darker. Does anyone have any hints?

3. A 'local' or workshop: I'm looking for a place to rent where I can work either a shared (or not) studio/workshop. Any hints on how to find one? All my leads so far have gone no where.

4. Self Storage: We have some things in storage at a warehouse. But its quite far away and if I need anything I have to have someone pull out the "box" with a fork lift & put it back. It would be great if I could find a self access storage unit, if they exist.

5. Used furniture not antiques: Just something that I won't feel bad if I saw it or if it gets ruined for my (eventual) work space & something pretty but not too expensive for use as storage in the kitchen & dinning room.

Any tips/leads/hints would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Back