Please Help!!

ls95

Registered
Hi everyone, I'll try to keep it short!!

Currently on and off between Cordoba (I met a girl from here 3 years ago online) and home in England and working as a freelancer for Smartodds, a UK based company (providing in play stats/analysis on football matches).

Do you know how I could obtain a work permit/residency and eventually a DNI? At the moment I'm just coming here on tourist visas and leaving within the 90 days or extending it in migraciones (although I've done that twice now and I'm only permitted one more).
I've spent days in migraciones and online seeking advice but can't seem to find a way that my current source of income can be used to gain it.

I earn more than enough money to be able to support myself here and could prove so with bank statements etc.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Hello Is95, Im not sure how you would be able to use an external source of income to apply for residency, but If you are planning on settling down with your girlfriend I'm sure you can apply through that avenue though that might not be in your plans at the moment.

Any other information you might need just pm me as I am into football and statistics! :)

Best of luck!

Do you know how I could obtain a work permit/residency and eventually a DNI? At the moment I'm just coming here on tourist visas and leaving within the 90 days or extending it in migraciones (although I've done that twice now and I'm only permitted one more).
I've spent days in migraciones and online seeking advice but can't seem to find a way that my current source of income can be used to gain it.

There have been numerous discussions about residency visas on this forum, so some people could give you more information, but not me. Here is a list with different kinds of visas: http://www.catla.mre...ov.ar/node/2743
If you do not qualify for an investment visa, you could try another one. Marriage would definitely work, but I guess you are not up to that.

I think I read in the discussions that if you manage to stay for 2 years in Argentina, you qualify for a DNI, even if you were overstaying your tourist visa, though others should correct me.

Have you experienced living in Argentina? I lived in Buenos Aires for a year and my opinion about living there changed over time. Is it not an option that your girlfriend comes with you to England and you take long legal holidays (up to 180 days a year) in Argentina?

Hi everyone, I'll try to keep it short!!

Currently on and off between Cordoba (I met a girl from here 3 years ago online) and home in England and working as a freelancer for Smartodds, a UK based company (providing in play stats/analysis on football matches).

I earn more than enough money to be able to support myself here and could prove so with bank statements etc.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

In order to qualify for the visa rentisa the foreign (aka: external) income must be "stable" and passive (from investments, not work) and (at least in theory) must continue for two years (even though the visa is granted one year at a time).

If you have been able to extend your visa more than one time at migraciones in Cordoba you should consider yourself lucky. Migraciones in CF will only do it once. You cannot get a "work permit" and go looking for a job. Employers of foreigners in Argentina must be registered with migraciones and receive permission to hire each foreign employee.

If you don't want to get married you can simply overstay your visa, and, about a year after your first arrival, you can begin the (on average one year) process to apply for Argentine citizenship (with a good lawyer who has a "track record" for winning citizenship cases for foreigners without a DNI). You should be able to use your foreign income to show a "legal means of living" when you apply for citizenship, even though you have not been paying taxes in Argentina. The two year "residency" requirement for citizenship began the first day you ever set foot on Argentine soil and an uninterrupted stay is not required.

Hopefully, before the end of that year, migraciones in Cordoba wont send you a notice that you have overstayed and invite you to regularize your immigration status in 30 days or leave the country. If you fail to comply you could then be given ten days to leave the country.

That isn't likely unless you make someone angry enough to report you.

If you get really desperate you could rent a wheelchair and get a note from an Argentine doctor saying you need ongoing medical treatment. That will get you temporary residency but I don't know for how long. Of course if someone from migraciones sees you out dancing with your girlfriend you might get a swift kick.
emo32.gif

I think I read in the discussions that if you manage to stay for 2 years in Argentina, you qualify for a DNI, even if you were overstaying your tourist visa, though others should correct me.

Staying in the country for two years does not make you eligible to go to the registro and get a DNI. You have to be granted citizenship by a judge or obtain temporary or permanent residency from migraciones before a DNI can be issued. If you waltz into migraciones after two years and ask for a DNI you will probably be given 30 days to "regularize" your status (aka fulfill the requirements for temporary residency).

You cannot get a "work permit" and go looking for a job. Employers of foreigners in Argentina must be registered with migraciones and receive permission to hire each foreign employee.

Just wanted to add this: You cannot get a "work permit" in Argentina for the work you are doing abroad. Of course you can go looking for a job, but all prospective employers will ask for your DNI. Few (if any) will want to hire you without one or be willing or able to deal with migraciones so they can hire you.

PS: Getting caught working without the DNI isn't good for either party (fines of 300.000 pesos were mentioned in a recent post by an authority on the subject).
emo32.gif

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies.

Personally I have enjoyed my short time spent in Cordoba. The people are very friendly and welcoming. I particularly enjoy going to watch Belgrano and I'm a socio there now :)

Today I went to migrations again and was advised to apply for a rentista visa so long as I can prove that I have had income going into my bank for a consistent period and can obtain a letter from my 'employers' that they intend to (not guarantee) to continue to provide me with freelance work.

Personally I'm taking this advice with a pinch of salt given that in all likelihood my work cannot be considered stable if it is not locked down clearly in contract.

I will keep this updated with any future developments so that anyone in the same position can get some clarity on this kind of situation (if at all possible in this country!!)

Regards,
Luke.

Back