Votes: 9 11.5%
  • 1000-2000 USD a month

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • 2000 - 3000 USD a month

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • more than 3000 USD a month

Votes: 14 17.9%

• Total voters
Live alone....except for when I've got my 2 yr old son with me, but he doesn't make much of a contribution as yet - will be putting him out to work as soon as he's fully bilingual.

;)

I selected under 500 dollars a month. I live with my girlfriend in a rented apartment (con garantía). Rent is roughly U$D 275 a month.

less than U$S500 - i own my apartment, i earn pesos, i cook at home, wednesday night 2 for 1 and the cinema etc etc. live with what you have.

I also put less than U$S500. Similar to guillegee and the bookcellar, I rent a room in a Ph, eat at home, don't really shop for clothes or go to clubs/bars very much, always take public transportation, etc etc. Mainly hang out at other friends' houses or house parties. Luckily there is a lot of free cultural stuff in the city to do. It's a big change from how my life was in the US, but I'm still happy.

I am also curious to know the household size that we are speaking of, I think that makes a big difference too. In my case there are only two of us living here but with a baby on the way. In the last few months of buying baby stuff I have already realized what a big change this will be for us financially (even with the help of cloth diapers and breast feeding).

I mean one person that doesn't pay rent and that is only responsible for the finances of themselves and not another person or a child could live off of less than 500 dollars and feel comfortable. But take two adults and a baby and paying rent and that figure is unrealistic.

citygirl said:
Doubly nosy but would any of the 14 people who voted less than 1000 a month post if they live alone or share an apartment? Or if they pay rent?

The difference about 1 or 2 persons isn't so high. Maybe 20 Pesos more for gas y luz each 2month and a little bit more for food but it is not so much. The big part is the rent of an apartment and could be about 80% of the whole costs.

I often cook at home and my food will be about 80% "ofertas" in the supermarket. But I don't buy it only for 1 week - I prefer to buy lot stuff for 2+ month. With this method you can safe a lot of money each month.

Example : If "arroz" is cheap you will pay about $5/kg (Oro) and it is nothing bad to buy about 6 kg at once and not buy the same for $8/kg if you will need it. So you will earn only on 1 product about $5/month. It seams not much but if you will do it for a lot you can safe about $100/month (U$ 25) or more depending of your need.

My idea is "not puting the cash into the ass of the industry" :D On Saturday I was @ Coto and had a bill of $613 (including wine) but with all discounts I safed ofer $100 and only payed $510 final ;)

If you rent only a room you should not use more than U$ 500. If you rent a 1 bed apartment you would be about U$ 700-800 and with a 2 bed apartment not more than U$ 1000. Calculated for 1 person. For 2 persons the costs will be like the half costs because the rent of 1 bed apartment will be like the same costs as rent 2 rooms ;) and so on ....

bye alex

On the less than 1,000 apartment situation. I share an apartment with one other person at $260 USD per month each. It's not shabby, fully furnished with all expenses included (even free phone calls to the US) and we live a block from the cemetery in Recoleta.

I voted 500-1,000 but I want to clarify that its in the $600 range and not higher. And yes, I do go out and do things like nice diners and go drinking, but I am not paying for health insurance.

So, with regards to whether US$2000/mth is enough to live on in BA - more than 73% of people posting on this forum are doing it, and 43% are doing it on less than US$1000.

Alzinho said:
So, with regards to whether US$2000/mth is enough to live on in BA - more than 73% of people posting on this forum are doing it, and 43% are doing it on less than US$1000.

I don't guess that 73% will need over $2000/people !!! For a couple who will pay about $1000 for rent each month I guess it will be ok but never near of $1000/person because of rent costs will not double.

if a couple will go out very fine each day for dinner (calculated with 200 pesos and 30 days) you will only need about U$ 1500 each month which will be U$ 750/person.

I don't know how to spend other U$ 2500 each month to get near to U$ 2000 each month / person :eek: Maybe U$ 1500 for a big apartment rent. But what about the rest of U$ 1000 ???

Maybe I am stupid but I guess more that a couple who will need U$ 4000 here each month can live perfect in NewYork City near the WallStreet :D:D

Back