• Nuñez

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Zona Norte (North Zone)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 11 10.6%

• Total voters
Alilou said:
laureltp... I think the problem is that Palermo and Recoleta are only one small part of the city yet too many ex pats don't look beyond those areas... I think both are good places to start but they are more like the tip of the ice berg. I think you miss out on a lot in basically such an isolated part of the city. And there are many good neighborhoods in the "real" Bs As.... Caballito, Flores, Almagro, Villa Urquiza, etc. That being said, if you are happy where you are... it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Palermo is one of the biggest barrios of BA and of course I travel frequently to other barrios particularly Almagro & Boedo. So, I'm not sure what is it that I'm missing.

Fair enough. People who live in Palermo are super defensive of Palermo... so they must really like it. It is just so overpromoted on this forum. Buenos Aires has more to offer.

Alilou said:
Fair enough. People who live in Palermo are super defensive of Palermo... so they must really like it. It is just so overpromoted on this forum. Buenos Aires has more to offer.

I think you are mistaken. I'm not at all defensive. But you are correct that I do really like it here.

What I find boring is the constant reiteration that living in Palermo is not "authentic" & "real". Yet no one can't tell me why that is. Would you tell my porteno friends & neighbors who have lived here all there lives that they don't live in the 'real' Buenos Aires or their lives are somehow less authentic than those living in other barrios?

I will agree with you though that it is probably over represented. But probably has to do with availability of temp housing. There isn't as much offered in other barrios.

mini said:
I think you are mistaken. I'm not at all defensive. But you are correct that I do really like it here.

What I find boring is the constant reiteration that living in Palermo is not "authentic" & "real". Yet no one can't tell me why that is. Would you tell my porteno friends & neighbors who have lived here all there lives that they don't live in the 'real' Buenos Aires or their lives are somehow less authentic than those living in other barrios?

I will agree with you though that it is probably over represented. But probably has to do with availability of temp housing. There isn't as much offered in other barrios.

Good post Mini and for those who are saying that Palermo is not authentic I suggest that you walk down some of its streets and it is more of a barrio that many other areas of the capital and much more peaceful to boot. Palermo is comprised of many layers and if you cover old and new Palermo you will see a great microcosm of Porteno life. Also some of the most oldest restaurants are in this neighbourhood with a very loyal local clientele.

In regards to it being full of tourists lets just say that in maybe a 6 block radius of the largest barrio of Buenos Aires you will see tourists and in 90 percent of the streets you are lucky if you see many people that is how quiet it can be on the weekends.

Just wanted to say the same. Devoto is my favourite barrio and make sure to check out the heladeria Monte Olivia there, best ice cream in the city.

By the way, I live in Avellaneda.

Constitucion - and it must be on the up as, after 4 years, the tranny hookers in my meighbourhood have finally gone! (I kinda miss them...)

Almagro, just moved here yesterday...a couple of blocks away from my previous place in Palermo. I find Almagro and Villa Crespo much more interesting than Palermo, I love their barrio atmosphere, much more authentic than Palermo.

I think Palermo is too big to say that on a whole it's not authentic. I have porteño friends that grew up in the Palermo Chico area and many of my other local friends feel that that area is the best area in the city to live. I'm sure they would take offense to someone saying that they were not authentic.

Lately, I have been referring to where we live in Palermo Soho as vacation land, not that I think it's "not authentic". It's as "not authentic" as the Soho area of NYC. It's true that most areas of NYC, and especially outer borough, are nothing like Soho, but it's still very much an NYC neighborhood. I think you could say the same of Palermo Soho, that many of the authentic restaurants and cafés over time and by nature of the area are and have become geared toward taking care of a lot of tourists with menus in English, staff that speaks English first and, of course, the tourist prices.

I'm ready to get into another area of B.A. not necessarily to have a more "authentic" experience, but maybe an experience more in line with where I am in my life. I'd prefer to live somewhere more oriented toward family life. I don't need the bar next door to be open until 5 a.m. or 25 cafés or a million designer clothes shops. I'd settle for a nice park with a clean playground and a selection of grocery stores.

Back