Polvo Para Hornear - Directions

Maybe you need bicarbonato de sodio (baking POWDER). Some recipes require one or the other, some both. You could be getting the translation wrong? (Sorry not meaning to insult your intelligence).
EDIT: now I see the other posts, and see that you know the difference.

I think it is all because in Italian recipes they simply say "una bustina di lievito per dolci", because in Italy that's the most common yeast we have for sweets (we use also cremor tartaro, bicarbonato di sodio, ammoniaca, etc. but these are usually for experts, the average cook at home uses lievito per dolci). From my research, this "lievito per dolci" is a mix of other rising agents, and I thought it was the same as Polvo para hornear.

Look for levadura de Cerveza deshidratada as per the recipe for Ciabata, my favorite. Lievito di birra

http://ricette.giall...-impastata.html

slide-ciabatta_450.jpg

I use royal and haven't had any problems either. I use 0000 for pastries/cakes and the 000 for bread. Although I do interchange when I don't have one or the other handy and to be honest, haven't noticed a huge difference.

They both have a shelf life of around 12-18 months. To test the freshness of Baking Powder or Baking Soda is really easy!

Baking powder is activated by a combination of heat and moisture. Mix a small amount of baking powder with a little hot water (not cold), if the baking powder is still good, the mixture produces lots of bubbles.

Baking soda is meant to produce bubbles when mixed with an acidic ingredient. Check baking soda by adding a few drops of vinegar or lemon juice onto a small amount of baking soda, if the baking soda is still good the mixture will bubble vigorously.

Baking powder is activated by a combination of heat and moisture. Mix a small amount of baking powder with a little hot water (not cold), if the baking powder is still good, the mixture produces lots of bubbles.

It was alive and well. Now I know I have the real stuff, I just have to find the right dose.
Thanks for your help!

Back