Pope Francis to visit Chile and Peru this month but not Argentina...WUWT !!!

You are confusing what you call terrorist acts with a community. I think there is a difference.

I did place a question mark after Terrorists some will call the Mapuche Arsonists Freedom Fighters or Revolutionaries. Others will consider them, Montoneros or ERP, like activists.

I did place a question mark after Terrorists some will call the Mapuche Arsonists Freedom Fighters or Revolutionaries. Others will consider them, Montoneros or ERP, like activists.

Ok, i get it.

It's a long time since I've visited Santiago de Chile so I suppose the slums to the south of the Alameda could all have been knocked down and replaced with middle class housing but when I was last there I spent quite a lot of time studying those people and what seemed to make their pretty shitty lives bearable were the deep religious convictions held by most of the inhabitants. Whether you consider religious conviction real or a placebo, it was making people's lives better on the inside.

Making lives better on the outside were the Anglican/Community Church in Providencia who, every Saturday sent out working parties into surrounding villages doing simple grunt jobs like making the water and drainage systems work properly - things the civic authorities ought to have been doing but weren't . I don't know if they still do that, and I'm sure they weren't the only ones but that's another slant on religious conviction.

It's easy to look at something like the money spent on the Pope's visit in purely economic terms - how much better to spend the millions on education or medicine. Except that you know and I know that the money won't be spent in any other way that could make a difference. But it will make a difference on the inside for millions of people whose religious faith is what gets them through the day.

People with no religious belief often find it quite difficult to understand what goes on inside someone who has a faith and there is a temptation to fall back on stereotypes. I suspect one of the difficulties may be a "cluster" effect where for instance, if you live in Australia or Iceland, Vermont or New Hampshire (for example) most of the people you know have no religion. This has a tendency to make one think that not being religious is the norm whereas, on a worldwide basis, the opposite is true. Latest PEW survey (easily Googleable) suggests that 84% of the World population have a religious faith and the projection from the current demographic is that by 2050 there will be even fewer people worldwide who have no faith at all.

My slant on the Pope's visit to Chile? Wherever he's traveled, he's never been afraid to express some - to coin a phrase - "inconvenient truths" so bring it on, I say. Why not Argentina? He's not daft. He's not stupid. He knows that factions in and out of government want to use "The Argentine Pope" as a political football and he's not playing their game.

It's an act of faith over 400,000 are expected to attend the Holy Mass service at 10.30 at The Park O`Higgins ? The Faithful must enter the Park at 3 a.m Pious women are working furiously to deliver 400,000 wafers for communion. Gluten free wafers not available.
Having a Rosary blessed by the Pope can certainly change peoples lives... The Pope will no doubt descend from the Papa movil to hug and kiss some infant in the arms of a Jesus loving mother.

Preparing for the flood of Argentines crossing overland to Chile for the Pope`s Visit . Close to a million pilgrims are expected. With the potential crowded situation at the Border Crossings: Chemical Toilets, medical help, watering zones, sun block, etc provided. to mitigate the Potential 6 hour plus wait... miles and miles of bumper to bumper slow traffic, under the powerful bright Andes sun , or below zero temperatures at night , no shelter available.
A Mechanical failure of your vehicle in the upper Cordillera is a death sentence..

1515514298053.png

The Vatican is worth $10-$15 billion. Why are they not financing their pope’s visits? Absolutely ridiculous!

The Vatican is worth $10-$15 billion. Why are they not financing their pope’s visits? Absolutely ridiculous!

A few MichelAngelo works in the Vatican Museum are worth that much, the worldwide assets of the Church Trillions of Trillions:rolleyes:

It's an act of faith over 400,000 are expected to attend the Holy Mass service at 10.30 at The Park O`Higgins ? The Faithful must enter the Park at 3 a.m Pious women are working furiously to deliver 400,000 wafers for communion. Gluten free wafers not available.
Having a Rosary blessed by the Pope can certainly change peoples lives... The Pope will no doubt descend from the Papa movil to hug and kiss some infant in the arms of a Jesus loving mother.

"Wafer" is not the correct term, rater "host". The host must be made of wheat however low gluten (but not gluten free) hosts are allowed. Alternatively, a Catholic can receive the wine and avoid the host. Most likely, however, at a mega mass consecrated wine will not be available to the public - my guess anyway. Some people find these events meaningful; others like myself hate large crowds and feel claustrophobic. I personally don't care for these kinds of events.

"Wafer" is not the correct term, rater "host". The host must be made of wheat however low gluten (but not gluten free) hosts are allowed. Alternatively, a Catholic can receive the wine and avoid the host. Most likely, however, at a mega mass consecrated wine will not be available to the public - my guess anyway. Some people find these events meaningful; others like myself hate large crowds and feel claustrophobic. I personally don't care for these kinds of events.

Sergio, you overlooked the tongue-in-cheek...:rolleyes: Not enough wine cases for massive event.

Last edited:
Back