Possible Changes For "permatourists" Who Want Osde

DontMindMe

Registered
I went to try to sign up for my beloved OSDE again. I was a socio at one point in time, but cancelled my plan in late 2011. Since I have a pre-existing condition (actually diagnosed here), they told me I had to go to the office on Juramento with all the exams.

It was there that I was told that you have to have a DNI to sign up for OSDE. Cue record-scratch sound. This was not brought up at Santa Fe and Billinghurst last week. I asked how that was possible since I had a plan a few years earlier using just my passport, and she told me that the law had changed. She even made a phone call to a co-worker to be sure she was telling me the right thing. She said that the whole point is that you have to prove you really live in Argentina to sign up. After I told her that the reason I'm not trying to get a DNI through marriage is because I'm pretty sure by the time I actually get it we'll be leaving again, she told me to get one of those police domicile certificates and she'd see what she could do with that.

I asked her if I could bypass this by getting the plan joven de matrimonio with my husband (a permanent resident with a DNI)--something we weren't going to do since it didn't make it any cheaper for us--and she said no, it wouldn't make a difference because I'm the one with the pre-existing condition.

So now I'm wondering if the whole you-have-to-have-a-DNI thing only applies to people with pre-existing conditions. I should have asked, but I didn't.

Is anyone familiar with this law? Or has it always existed and this one person decided to be strict and actually enforce it today? Google is getting me nowhere.

I went to try to sign up for my beloved OSDE again. I was a socio at one point in time, but cancelled my plan in late 2011. Since I have a pre-existing condition (actually diagnosed here), they told me I had to go to the office on Juramento with all the exams.

It was there that I was told that you have to have a DNI to sign up for OSDE. Cue record-scratch sound. This was not brought up at Santa Fe and Billinghurst last week. I asked how that was possible since I had a plan a few years earlier using just my passport, and she told me that the law had changed. She even made a phone call to a co-worker to be sure she was telling me the right thing. She said that the whole point is that you have to prove you really live in Argentina to sign up. After I told her that the reason I'm not trying to get a DNI through marriage is because I'm pretty sure by the time I actually get it we'll be leaving again, she told me to get one of those police domicile certificates and she'd see what she could do with that.

I asked her if I could bypass this by getting the plan joven de matrimonio with my husband (a permanent resident with a DNI)--something we weren't going to do since it didn't make it any cheaper for us--and she said no, it wouldn't make a difference because I'm the one with the pre-existing condition.

So now I'm wondering if the whole you-have-to-have-a-DNI thing only applies to people with pre-existing conditions. I should have asked, but I didn't.

Is anyone familiar with this law? Or has it always existed and this one person decided to be strict and actually enforce it today? Google is getting me nowhere.

This is going to sound harsh, but I think they are giving you lame excuses because they do not want you back due to your pre existing condition. There was a new law passed a couple of years ago, that mentioned nothing about this, and it was actually never regulated. I call BS.

DontMindMe, I can vouch that this is not a law, or at least not one that OSDE follows, as I have their coverage without a DNI and it was recently obtained.

The only health insurance company that truly takes patients with existing conditions - with a different price for coverage - for many years is Hospital Italiano. The rest will BS you endlessly. I have an existing condition, and have managed to keep my health insurance for many years - because I got sick years after I became a member - I know that if I drop it, they will not take me back, and the same will happen with most of them. I am sorry to be the carrier of this news, if nothing works, try HI.

The only health insurance company that truly takes patients with existing conditions - with a different price for coverage - for many years is Hospital Italiano. The rest will BS you endlessly. I have n existing condition, and have managed to keep my health insurance for many years - because I got sick years after I became a member - I know that if I drop it, they will not take me back, and the same will happen with most of them. I am sorry to be the carrier of this news, if nothing works, try HI.

Nikad, this is great info. Thank you so much. I'm actually going to be living very near Hospital Italiano soon and already told my husband that we should start looking into other private plans just in case. I have about three months left of my medication so I have a bit of time to investigate, fortunately. I loved the convenience of OSDE but Hospital Italiano will be convenient now, too. It boggles the mind that they won't take me back when my diagnosis and treatment was covered by them!! The expensive part for them is over and all I need now is a monthly prescription. So dumb. Worst case scenario I go wait in line at the public hospital. But I really do not like to be without health insurance in case of being hit by a bus or what have you.

Nikad, this is great info. Thank you so much. I'm actually going to be living very near Hospital Italiano soon and already told my husband that we should start looking into other private plans just in case. I have about three months left of my medication so I have a bit of time to investigate, fortunately. I loved the convenience of OSDE but Hospital Italiano will be convenient now, too. It boggles the mind that they won't take me back when my diagnosis and treatment was covered by them!! The expensive part for them is over and all I need now is a monthly prescription. So dumb. Worst case scenario I go wait in line at the public hospital. But I really do not like to be without health insurance in case of being hit by a bus or what have you.

HI has excellent doctors. Before the new law was passed, most insurance companies will cover you for everything but they would exclude coverage of the existing condition. The new law forces them to cover everything, and this is why they are rejecting people. I am not sure what your condition is, if it is not something serious I would not even bring it up if I was you. If you want to discuss ideas, feel free to message me privately or by email. Good luck!

This is going to sound harsh, but I think they are giving you lame excuses because they do not want you back due to your pre existing condition. There was a new law passed a couple of years ago, that mentioned nothing about this, and it was actually never regulated. I call BS.

Sounds like a US insurance company in the days before Obamacare.

I think you should sue them. The way is through an amparo de salud that is a fast remedy to enforce your re-entry.
The law says:

"Las enfermedades preexistentes solamente pueden establecerse a partir de la declaración jurada del usuario y no pueden ser criterio
del rechazo de admisión de los usuarios".

While the immigration law guaranties medical services for foreigners no matter their legal status.

I think you should sue them. The way is through an amparo de salud that is a fast remedy to enforce your re-entry.
The law says:

"Las enfermedades preexistentes solamente pueden establecerse a partir de la declaración jurada del usuario y no pueden ser criterio
del rechazo de admisión de los usuarios".

While the immigration law guaranties medical services for foreigners no matter their legal status.

Hi Bajo_cero2, could you please tell me the names (numbers?) of those laws? I will memorize them word for word before I go back to OSDE. I just love being able to spit this stuff out in their faces when they think I'm a dumb foreigner who doesn't know how things work here. Well, actually I didn't know how things worked, but I'm going to go back armed and ready. Ah, feels like old times...

When you say "declaración jurada," that definitely wouldn't be what I did today, right? I'm honestly considering going to a different OSDE office to try to become a socio and just not say anything about my pre-existing condition. Pretty sure once I get coverage I can just go back to my old doctor and say, "Hey, remember me? Write me a prescription!" Ugh, that is totally what I should have done to begin with.

Back