Possibly moving to the Netherlands....

NOLAchef

Registered
and was wondering if anyone had some helpful info in regards to visas. i'm an american, but my boyfriend has french citizenship and i read that i can get a workpermit through him as long as he's living and working there and agrees to sponsor me himself. has anyone done this or know anyone who has? also, i couldn't find a good expats website for the netherlands as well as a community website to look for jobs and apartments. any suggestions? feel free to PM if you prefer!

much thanks!

Hello
I lived in Amsterdam for 5 years so anything you need to know just ask. If you are wanting to live in Amsterdam that is .
Besos

Best bet is to get married -- then you have full work/residence rights throughout the EU.

starlucia said:
Best bet is to get married -- then you have full work/residence rights throughout the EU.

That's not true, it depends on the country. I have a British friend with a Turkish wife living in France. She is allowed to reside in France with him but not work. If she wants to work she needs to be sponsored by a company and apply for a seperate work visa.
Each country is different regarding this, some allow it, others don't. It's best to check at the consulate.

starlucia said:

Thats not true, at least not for Holland. Money is more important than your relationship (arent we Dutch lovely), if youre married but not to someone with a contract and a certain salary, it wont give you a permission to stay or work. Getting married isnt necessary though, you can let someone stay with you as your partner as long as you do have the job to support them.

Lamb said:
Thats not true, at least not for Holland. Money is more important than your relationship (arent we Dutch lovely), if youre married but not to someone with a contract and a certain salary, it wont give you a permission to stay or work. Getting married isnt necessary though, you can let someone stay with you as your partner as long as you do have the job to support them.

Well, that sucks.

Because your bfriend is french most restrictions dont apply and as long as your bf can get à job. Because you are American you dont need to go through the immigration courses and dutch exam in your home country

Paperwork should take around 3 months and is fairly expensive, easily 2000 euro's excluding tickets and living cost. Also take in account you can probally not work legally for about a year after arriving in holland.

Back