Posts from baexpats replicated on another forum

Well, here is a story for you. In October, after 13 years of being a very active member of this forum, he suddenly developed a strong interest in dinosaurs. So, he labeled the old forum members as dinosaurs (excluding himself, evidently), and called the forum itself a dinosaur. I don't know what triggered such a revelation. Consequently, he decided to start his own forum.

I did a quick check, and it looks like he did copy numerous posts from baexpats.org to his forum. Some posts are copied exactly, while others have minor modifications, likely done by AI. Several thread titles and URLs have also been replicated. (See the screenshots attached.)

Since we do not hold copyright over user-generated content, I am not quite sure what to do about it.
I guess it is between him and the original posters, whose posts were likely copied without permission.

This is clearly unethical, in my opinion.

With practices like this, I wish good luck to his own real estate business, and to Gaucho Group Holdings, who have apparently recently appointed him to their Advisory Board.

View attachment 9325View attachment 9326View attachment 9327View attachment 9328View attachment 9329View attachment 9330
I see one of my posts was copied with my name slightly changed. Do you have any recommendations as to how I can challenge this person's use of my post without my authorization. I am a lawyer, but not in IP/Copyright issues. And I wouldn't know where to begin with respect to Argentina law. But if there is a way to make a complaint, I'm happy to do it. It's creepy.

I see one of my posts was copied with my name slightly changed. Do you have any recommendations as to how I can challenge this person's use of my post without my authorization. I am a lawyer, but not in IP/Copyright issues. And I wouldn't know where to begin with respect to Argentina law. But if there is a way to make a complaint, I'm happy to do it. It's creepy.
I think US copyright law applies. First, the owner of that site still has a place in the US. Second, I am sure hosting/domain registration has a US nexus. I would send him a take down demand and see what happens. Or, post to his twitter account where he constantly preens about his real estate services and ask him why he's copying your posts.

This seems to have a pretty good guide:

The site is registered with Godaddy so definitely file a copyright complaint with them. And everywhere else outlined in the article.

Also, I'd consider detailing his shady actions directly with a google review of his business website. People should know.

I think US copyright law applies. First, the owner of that site still has a place in the US. Second, I am sure hosting/domain registration has a US nexus. I would send him a take down demand and see what happens. Or, post to his twitter account where he constantly preens about his real estate services and ask him why he's copying your posts.
As an illustrator all I can say is, good luck if it was fed into AI and spat out again. The courts are still debating whether your data (your likeness, your voice, your writing, photography or art) deserves any copyright or privacy consideration in the face of the AI juggernaut. Don't get me started. One illustrator found the #1 Google image result when you search for her name is an AI rip-off generated from her online portfolio. This is life now.

Holy crap! i just went to that site and i appear as a new member with 2 comments i made in this forum, i have never signed up or was even aware of that other forum.
I can't seem to be able to even sign off from it

Found my doppelgänger, what a strange thing to devote time and money to...

Back