Potential Expat Assignment - Need Advice

tbstedman

Registered
I have been presented with a potential expat assignment in BA. My company is located in the Martinez area, and I would like to live somewhat close, but in a safe, kid friendly area. I am married to an Argentine from San Rafael, and have a 2 1/2 year old and 1 month old. Can you please let me know of some areas that would be a good place to look. Hopefully looking for at least 3 br, 2 ba.

For those currently in BA, are there big safety concerns with the police strike?

Also, as the agreement hasn't been finalized, I would certainly appreciate any other advice.

Thanks!

Almost any place in Olivos, Vicente Lopez, La Lucila, etc, is probably ok.
Also I would check in Nuñez (near the River Plate FC), it is vey quiet there.

Martinez is kid-friendly. So is Olivos (just don't live near the Wicked Witch). Going towards BA center the first two neighborhoods are Nunez and Belgrano. Both are family-friendly.

1. Security is the same with the police or without them. Protests and riots are localized events. Haven't seen any of that in the above areas.

2. If possible, negotiate to get at least some of your pay in Dollars. If not possible, then negotiate to get your salary bumped 30% per year for inflation. Since you are not a local that might sound totally crazy. Once you get here you'll see it is completely justified.

3. Get at least a 310 healthcare plan. 410 provides for plastic surgery - if you are into that kind of thing.

4. If you get a DNI with your package MAKE SURE you arrange to bring a container within the first 6 months of being here. You can fill it with practically whatever you want. As far as I know they don't ask many questions about it. Even if you don't need half of the stuff you can negotiate with other expats who want more stuff from home (like crates of maple syrup).

5. If your work can swing it have them negotiate the rental for you. They will have a guarantia and will be able to get a much better deal than you will.

Good luck!

San isidro near the river ---it's beautiful and secure place. There are some really good apartments.

I would not recommend Olivos as they try to steal my cycle there....

Good Job GS-Dirtboy. Really good advice. I missed the 6 months window on shipping stuff so that's especially valuable info. But the entire post is good. Back to the question, I really like Martinez. Unless someone here finds fault with that (things can change around here re security) if my company were there I'd at least look there. It's a very lovely community I think.

If your company is paying the rent , then, by all means go for Martinez. It is among the best places to live in GBA. Kid friendly, nice big yards w/pools and good restos and bars. If they don't go for Martinez you can shoot for San Isidro.

i dont get point 4, does it means if you have DNI within first 6 months(arrival or getting a DNI??) you can bring whatever you want without custom issues or just can bring it in a container?

I still have 1 month left to complete 6 month of my arrival, is there anyway I can use this.

Martinez is great, could be expensive. We have kids and live maybe a 15 minute drive further north, in Punta Chica, near the river. Large house, fantastic backyard, reasonably priced with garantia (also my husband is paid in dollars). We feel safe, have been here a year. Far from city center though.

I still have 1 month left to complete 6 month of my arrival, is there anyway I can use this.

You have 6 months from the date you receive your DNI to bring a container in country. Others on this list have done this and can give you exact details.

Martinez is kid-friendly. So is Olivos (just don't live near the Wicked Witch).

(I haven't read all the way to the end of this thread yet so sorry if this is a repeat, but...)
Do tell us more about that!!!

Back