Poverty in Argentina

Lets see: right after the last elections, the social stats of the UCA (Universidad Catolica Argentina), which is known for the accuracy of their stats, declared that the level of poverty in this country was over 41%.
Fine, now, almost two years later, with a devastating epidemic and the loss of millions of jobs,the same liers admit a 40.9 % of poverty!!!
Lets bring more pandemics and this will solve the poverty problem at last!!

Plenty on this board advocate Thatcherism as an antidote to Personism in Argentina.

The data in the article is from late 2019 and early 2020, which would effectively make Macri largely responsible for this unfortunate trend.
Did you find the data? I wonder how they calculate the poverty rate, is it comparable between coountries? The Peruvian score isn't very believable, as anyone who's been there and traveled outside the Miraflores bubble to see the "pueblos nuevos" all around the city, or all cities really: clusters of wicker huts on the sand with no electricity or water.

see this:
Interesting what this guy (right-wing neoliberal fascist?) is saying: the 40.9% is the average of the first half year 2020. But effectively the poverty went up from 34.6% in Q1 2020 to 47.0% in Q2 2020.
I think Kristina needs to take care again of the INDEC and solve this problem.

Interesting when my friends back home ask me about how great argentina is, they are suprised when I tell them it's third world. "well it was OK when I was there" they say. I answer with "where did you go?". They always answer with Buenos Aires or Bariloche or similar.

Yeah you went to the most touristy parts of the country what do you expect? Try living in the interior and youll see all the stuff you can't see in Palermo. Huge shanty towns of tents in fields, towns with no paved roads, gangster union crime organizations, tires burning in the streets, poor food quality/quantity.

This whole work from home threw people for a loop when they were expected to have internet service at their house and chair they could stand to sit in for 8 hours a day. A bunch of the people I know don't have internet in their houses or access to even an extra table or chair.

So imagine 50% poverty in the UK. That Nikon would not exist, nor would there be an NHS, social welfare, quality state education as were around then or are around today etc.

At poverty levels like this you start having "third world problems" rather than "first world problems" especially when the become lasting and structural. What are these problems? With little tax revenue there is little investment in infrastructure or social services and the state falls into near complete disrepair. With little employment the social safety net evaporates. With widespread hunger and impunity there is extreme insecurity and corruption. Diseases with "simple" yet expensive preventions re-emerge to claim many lives. As people grow restless, the state turns to oppression and violence to maintain power and some semblance of control. And suddenly a country stops being such a "good" place to live for rich and poor alike.

Yes even here I'd say poverty doesn't exist....unless you don't want to work and would rather spend what money you have on things other than essentials. Freeloaders are everywhere.

Did you find the data? I wonder how they calculate the poverty rate, is it comparable between coountries? The Peruvian score isn't very believable, as anyone who's been there and traveled outside the Miraflores bubble to see the "pueblos nuevos" all around the city, or all cities really: clusters of wicker huts on the sand with no electricity or water.
Could say the same about Argentina and the buenos aires Recoleta bubble

Could say the same about Argentina and the buenos aires Recoleta bubble
Not exactly. I have traveled extensively inside Argentina and Peru. Just look at the infrastructure in Peru. It does not exist! And also the crime is even worse in interiors in Peru than in the interiors of Argentina where its mostly in provinces of Buenos Aires - part of which is done by Peruvians.

You seem to have lot of contempt for Argentina. Reasons unknown.

Last edited:
I've traveled throughout both as well. Argentina is still more developed than Peru. Lima, the coast down to Ica, Arequipa, Moquegua (copper), you see some wealth, but not much more outside of that.

15 years from now Peru may fully catch up and surpass Argentina. There is a lot of Chilean money pouring into Peru. Many planned infrastructure projects on the horizon.

Interesting when my friends back home ask me about how great argentina is, they are suprised when I tell them it's third world. "well it was OK when I was there" they say. I answer with "where did you go?". They always answer with Buenos Aires or Bariloche or similar.

Yeah you went to the most touristy parts of the country what do you expect? Try living in the interior and youll see all the stuff you can't see in Palermo. Huge shanty towns of tents in fields, towns with no paved roads, gangster union crime organizations, tires burning in the streets, poor food quality/quantity.

This whole work from home threw people for a loop when they were expected to have internet service at their house and chair they could stand to sit in for 8 hours a day. A bunch of the people I know don't have internet in their houses or access to even an extra table or chair.

I feel for you jblaze. I've driven through Neuquen and spent a few hours there before. Not in a rush to return.

Back