Poverty in Argentina

Could say the same about Argentina and the buenos aires Recoleta bubble
Again, not really. I’ve been outside the bubbles in both countries and the poverty in Peru is much more extreme. Even the shacks put up by the people doing land grabs in Guernica are better than what I’ve seen on the outskirts of Lima and Ica for example.

Again, not really. I’ve been outside the bubbles in both countries and the poverty in Peru is much more extreme. Even the shacks put up by the people doing land grabs in Guernica are better than what I’ve seen on the outskirts of Lima and Ica for example.

Your personal anecdotal evidence isn't really compelling.

There will always be 'poverty'....they even have it in the UK.
Poverty in the UK can't compare. I remember over twenty years ago taking the Tree a las Nubes in Salta. At the stations along the way poor people greeted the train desperate to sell their handicrafts. Barefoot children in ragged clothes held pet llamas in their arms. The poverty was tragic. On another trip to Posadas I was shocked at how third world the place looked -- and that was over twenty years ago. Most expats not only live in the bubble of CABA, they usually live in a few elite neighborhoods. You don't have to go very far within the city of BA to see serious poverty - or venture out into the provincia to see some real misery.

What a dream! Let them first try to make an underground metro/subte in Lima.

Peru is growing pretty quickly. Last 20 years they have probably averaged 5% per year... with low inflation, a managed external debt. Argentina is going nowhere fast.

I don't think it's too far fetched that in 15 years Peru is going to catch up, unless some miracle political revolution happens in Argentina.

That being said, I still prefer Argentina to live.

I've traveled throughout both as well. Argentina is still more developed than Peru. Lima, the coast down to Ica, Arequipa, Moquegua (copper), you see some wealth, but not much more outside of that.

15 years from now Peru may fully catch up and surpass Argentina. There is a lot of Chilean money pouring into Peru. Many planned infrastructure projects on the horizon.

Before the pandemic, Peru's economy was actually the only one in South America projected for growth. But I wonder how much of the infrastructure projects are going specifically to the tourist sector or other high end consumers. For instance, the Cuzco-Arequipa train is Chilean-owned I believe, and while very nice and efficient, is also very expensive and has no practical purpose outside of tourism.

The Peruvian government deserves credit for knowing how to milk its tourists attractions ($50USD entrance fee for Machu Picchu) but there isn't a lot of evidence of that income being reinvested elsewhere. Public transport and traffic in Lima are probably among the worst in South America, and definitely the worst I've experienced (with Bogotá a distant second). I lived in Callao while volunteering for an NGO and it would take a good 2 hours, and 3 or 4 micros just to get to the city center. I went to Miraflores maybe once it was about a 6 hour round trip journey just to pay US prices for a coffee.

Back