Power Cuts in the Summer: A contingency plan is being made with planned brownouts

Quilombo

Registered
Article in Spanish, but it looks like government is expecting there to be brown and blackouts again this summer. Despite Milei thinking climate change is a communist hoax, I guess it's good that they're letting people know in advance that things are expected to be bad in January and February again?

This is honestly one of the reasons we're building a home, so we can have a generator and solar panels. I'm not a prepper, but we constantly lose power in January and February each year, and I work from home so apartment living (where I can't have either) isn't sustainable in the long term. Feb 2023 was the worst year since I moved to Argentina, in addition to the power issues, we also had no water and internet or food of course, and we had to spend about 3 weeks living in hotels over the span of the summer because of it.

Our neighborhood finally made a WhatsApp group to organize protests due to it, I'm looking forward to seeing Pato Boracho try and take the social plans away that none of us have while slurring ley y orden because we're a middle class neighborhood, so we have nothing to lose by protesting again.

Feb 2023 was the worst year since I moved to Argentina, in addition to the power issues, we also had no water and internet or food of course, and we had to spend about 3 weeks living in hotels over the span of the summer because of it.
February/March 2023 was the worst time I remember in my life, regarding power outages for over a month. I was ready to go to a hotel but since we didn't know how long this was goint to take I thought that perhaps I needed a temporary rental in another place. I finally ended up spending time in Uruguay because of all this nonsense. We don't deserve this but I hope that this government does something to improve this inadmissible situation. If at least they tell us in advance during what days and times they need to cut the power, like they used to do many years ago, we wouldn't be caught trying to do laundry or inside the elevator when it happens.

The 2022/2023 summer was indeed magnificent, with 40 degrees already in the first weeks of December - we had booked an Airbnb in the delta and I was motivated for the first time to jump in an arroyo to cool off, and 40 degrees again in the third week of March if I remember correctly, when we took Buquebus from Tigre to Carmelo, and stayed in a hotel in the middle of an Eucalyptus forest (no bugs!) with a ginormous pool. In between we were in Paraguay (Asuncion and Encarnación) and Uruguay but closer to the Atlantic, great beaches along the route to Punta del Este.

Article in Spanish, but it looks like government is expecting there to be brown and blackouts again this summer. Despite Milei thinking climate change is a communist hoax, I guess it's good that they're letting people know in advance that things are expected to be bad in January and February again?

This is honestly one of the reasons we're building a home, so we can have a generator and solar panels. I'm not a prepper, but we constantly lose power in January and February each year, and I work from home so apartment living (where I can't have either) isn't sustainable in the long term. Feb 2023 was the worst year since I moved to Argentina, in addition to the power issues, we also had no water and internet or food of course, and we had to spend about 3 weeks living in hotels over the span of the summer because of it.
I’m looking at petrol / diesel generators, I’ll probably get one in October. Since we have a tri-phase connection there aren’t too many alternatives on ML, I need to ask an electrician which to choose. I’m sorry about the planet but I need to cool off sometimes.

Solar panels would be nice and I will go that route at some point but the last offer I got was obscenely expensive ($10k+).

Please share your house building story. I got about a third of the way with mine.

Electric bills have increased by 400% but they still can't keep the power on? What did they do with the money?
The Electric bill was and still is heavily subsidized more subsidies need to be removed to get into a profitable situation. To increase in electrical capacity.

I call bullshit.

I'd need to see the numbers in detail before I'd even think about believing that.
From an article on the topic that I posted some time back, at least some of the critical electricity upgrades were fully funded, but cancelled by the government for ideological reasons (Chinese funding). Now that it's too late to fix anything before summer, the government has woken up to contemplate the disaster it's responsible for. Welcome to Argenzuela, this is the real thing.

I’m looking at petrol / diesel generators, I’ll probably get one in October. Since we have a tri-phase connection there aren’t too many alternatives on ML, I need to ask an electrician which to choose. I’m sorry about the planet but I need to cool off sometimes.

Solar panels would be nice and I will go that route at some point but the last offer I got was obscenely expensive ($10k+).

Please share your house building story. I got about a third of the way with mine.
I'd like a PH in CABA (so we could have a pool and parilla, plus I really don't like gated communities/HOAs), but we can't afford it, and the most accessible option ironically ended up being a pre-development in a barrio privado in GBA. It has let us pay lump sums over several months when we have the money as I have an irregular job that depends on the needs of my clients and their tech projects. Also, unlike most folks on the forum, I've always lived paycheck to paycheck, and despite the lot costing slightly under 50K USD, I simply didn't/don't have that kind of money just sitting around, nor familiar support towards a downpayment/loan/etc. so we opted for something we could pay over time.

We've paid almost a 3rd of the lot's value, and will continue to do so over the next couple years, at which point we will then apply for a mortgage to build the actual house itself. My bank's UVA calculator shows we will qualify for enough of a loan to build the home we'd like to, and the plan is steel framing via llave en mano system. There's a company whose work I've been following that I like called Casarella, and their costs aren't too crazy, so I think that's the plan for now.

Not at the building point yet, but if I win the lottery I'll let you know how it goes as I'm not expecting us to break ground until the maybe 2028 if we're lucky.

Back