Long Hot Summer ...power Cuts

Gerrysan

Registered
Hi All,

We are hardly a week into hot weather and all ready here in Avellaneda there's been two power cuts. Yesterday for almost 3 hours and a 6 hour outage less than a week ago. Is this what this summer is going to be.....
G

i guess in buenos aires it all depends on the neighborhood. i have friends living in GBA south reporting that power cuts are pretty often throughout the year, and also friends living in nuñes telling me that it only happened once during a year it it got back on within 20 minutes

I live on the same electricity substation (or whatever you call it) as the argentine foreign affairs building so very rarely suffer power cuts even during the hottest days in summer but most of my friends complain that it is all to regular an occurance.

Looks like I am on the mark...............

It is going to get hotter, and not just summer heat i feel...

That doesn't sound so good. Not even here in Armenia, which is tiny, poor and geographically isolated by an economic and military blockade by its neighbours (80% of the land borders of the country) Turkey and Azerbaijan, and 40% of whose power comes from a long-outdated Soviet nuclear power plant (Metsamor), are power blackouts common. In September, there were two outages in the section of Yerevan in which I live, lasting about 5 hours each, and people were absolutely furious. I was told this was highly anomalous, on the order of once-in-a-few-years. It hasn't happened again. I would expect more from Capital Federal.

I live in barrio Montserrat and we had a 24 hour power cut that ended yesterday afternoon. Of course that's nothing compared to the traffic lights and subway being affected!!

Last Summer seen quite a few diesel generators spotted around the city for peaking, have not seen any this year. They are expensive to run and consume copious amounts of fuel. Would guess the economics of importing fuel to run the things may have had something to do with not seeing them this year. But, we got futball for all.

I thought I had heard it all.
Now it seem Homer Simson is working for EDESUR and messed up yesterday by throwing the power switch to the city. Here we were out for about 2 hours.

Last Summer seen quite a few diesel generators spotted around the city for peaking, have not seen any this year. They are expensive to run and consume copious amounts of fuel. Would guess the economics of importing fuel to run the things may have had something to do with not seeing them this year. But, we got futball for all.

Why Argentina, the grand producer of Petrol in South America has got to import fuel to run Diesel powered electric generators.? Isn't the coutry self-sufficient in Petro-fuel derived resource.?

Argentina has screwed up any petro-fuel independence on bad economic policies, which is why they ended up stealing YPF from Repsol in an attempt to have a state-run company that they hope in the future will alleviate their problem. Private market is not producing enough oil at the prices the government has set.

I noticed some one previously mentioning living on the same substation as the foreign minister building and not being affected - I live right across the street and yesterday around 5:00 we lost power for a few hours (I went to sleep and woke up with the power back on - don't know for sure how long it was). At least it wasn't a day! I really need to get a backup battery source for my computer...doh!

Back