Prefectura Protests

I think this strike is no different than the strike by the subte workers, for example. In this country, because of the recent history with the military dictatorship, people get their panties in a twist when anything irregular happens that involves the military.

Being so scared of the members of the military protesting may be justified, but I think we need to look at it rationally.

So far they are only protesting for wage hikes (I think they are being unreasonable but when have workers on strike ever been reasonable!) and nothing else. I think we all need calm down a little.

nicoenarg said:
I think this strike is no different than the strike by the subte workers, for example. In this country, because of the recent history with the military dictatorship, people get their panties in a twist when anything irregular happens that involves the military.

Being so scared of the members of the military protesting may be justified, but I think we need to look at it rationally.

So far they are only protesting for wage hikes (I think they are being unreasonable but when have workers on strike ever been reasonable!) and nothing else. I think we all need calm down a little.

Well, actually it's different because the military has no union to stand up for their rights. May be that's why at the beginning of the strike it was hard to find a spokesman.

However, I believe that perceiving this as an attempt to take over the gov. is absolutely unjustifiable. Knowing the military as much as I do, believe me no one on their right mind would ever consider doing that again. Yeah, you could hear about someone saying he/she would do so, but it does absolutely not reflect the common feeling.

On the other hand, even though I don't support their methods for being unreasonable and against the chain of command, I believe their claims are justified.

cuore said:
Well, actually it's different because the military has no union to stand up for their rights. May be that's why at the beginning of the strike it was hard to find a spokesman.

However, I believe that perceiving this as an attempt to take over the gov. is absolutely unjustifiable. Knowing the military as much as I do, believe me no one on their right mind would ever consider doing that again. Yeah, you could hear about someone saying he/she would do so, but it does absolutely not reflect the common feeling.

On the other hand, even though I don't support their methods for being unreasonable and against the chain of command, I believe their claims are justified.

I agree with what you're saying. I think I didn't put it clearly. I meant that it may be justified given the recent history to be scared of a strike by the military but it is not realistic that the military would intend to do anything like taking over the country. That is only fearmongering.

Whether the claims are justified or not, I do not know. You seem to know a lot more than I do on this subject, so I will take your word for it.

All I do know is that this government screwed up big time, and then they screwed it up even more with their further actions in response to the protest. The national government is completely out of line here and they promote this feeling of instability and impending doom with their actions.

Back