Presidential debate Massa vs Millei 9PM. Last one before election.

For the vast majority of voters it won't change their intentions.
According to the TN poll (which had a few million participants) 85% still said Milei "won" this debate despite his objectively terrible performance versus Massa on screen. For the majority of voters politics is like footbal, pick a team and stick with them even if when it is clear they are loosing a match.

What I thought was an interesting tactic of Massa is that in previous debates he had been much more "read from the script" and "passive" in his participation, this time he surprised Milei and threw him off-balance by opening on the attack. More cringe-worthy tactics included little coughs while Milei was speaking and personal jibes to send him off on a tangent and use up his talking-time also clearly show a career politician who knows how to fight dirty. It was also crystal clear Massa was using fear-tactics trying to repeat and generate disinformation and lies such as Milei not offering public education or healthcare and more stupid things such as Milei being somehow "apatriotic" for his admiration of Margaret Thatcher who Massa labled as an "enemy" of Argentina to this day (and who went to war against a dictatorship - the perversity of ultra-nationalism as a political tool of manipulation at its finest, as ridiculous as if Merkel had called Churchill or Roosevelt an enemy of the German people for fighting against Hitler's German state...).
Dirty politicians gonna dirty politician. But I think anyone who's in the game is a politician whether they brand themselves "outsider" for a marketing advantage or not. As an example, in the 2020 US election Trump interrupted Biden so many times in an attempt to throw him off-balance that they had to change the rules so he wouldn't do it in the next debate. But his running as the incumbent could be seen as him no longer being the outsider and instead being just another dirty politician looking to get re-elected. However, in the 2016 debates when he was as much of an outsider as Milei, he tried to throw dirty politician Clinton off-balance by stalking her around the debate stage. But it worked for him.

Candidates for office act aggressive because a lot of voters respond positively to aggression. 'I like him/her because they're a fighter. They're tough, and what we need right now is a tough fighter. Someone who will fight for me.' The candidate who's passive or reacts negatively to the aggressor's tactics comes off as weak. Voters don't like weak. All's fair in love, war, and politics (though I guess politics and war can often be the same thing). Use of fear tactics, disinformation, lies, things taken out of context or twisted, etc. are also aggressive tactics used by those who want to win because they know a certain percentage of voters and likely the overwhelming majority of their supporters will respond positively to their aggression. Sure, some use lies and especially fear more than others because that's all they can offer (Trump and Massa come to mind), but it's not like their opponents don't to some degree as well. Supporters are predisposed to overlook the dirty tactics of candidates with similar ideologies while demonizing the similar tactics of those with ideologies they're against. It's not a surprise that a lot of people are fed up and think 'they're all the same,' because in many ways they are.

Milei Por Si o Por No...! was dead in the water and forgot the motosierra and the Viva la Libertad Carajo..!
Any time you find in a por si o por no situation, ask yourself this question, fire, good or bad?, water, good or bad? violence, good or bad?, war, good or bad?, power, good or bad? the adult world is way much much complex than good or bad or por si o por no
That gives me a pretty good idea how massa is planning to herd people under his presidency, some of us recall the beagle treaty when the option was , give it up or war lol pretty childish but it worked and people chose to give up territories because war is ''bad''

I think Milei missed a golden opportunity not holding Massa, the current economy minister, responsible for the current situation.
As the old saying goes “It’s the economy stupid.” And it’s still true today. Massa tried to control the debate by asking his opponent yes and no question. And baiting him hoping to send Milei into one of his famous rants. After 12 years of Peronist / K government the country has the worst economy in the region.Galloping inflation and a currency that’s absolutely worthless.
Conspicuously absent is Cristina, which means she's behind the scenes spending gobs of money on negative adds against Milei.
The New York Times published yesterday an article regarding A.I. used in the current campaign ads. You have to wonder where’s the money to produce them coming from.

The New York Times published yesterday an article regarding A.I. used in the current campaign ads. You have to wonder where’s the money to produce them coming from.
When you have an official dollar (which is in practical terms only accessible by obtaining direct approval from the Ministry of Economy, the same kind of approval casas de cambio and exporters need to get) that is cheaper than the market dollar, if you have friends in the right places you would essentially have your own money printing service.

Who is Fariña? Friend of Lazaro Baez and still wearing an ankle bracelet for his involvement in the ruta de dinero K. Interesting timing to raid a cueva every time the blue shoots up before an election (like the Croatian guy), to me it seems like someone doesn’t like it when they don’t follow orders on how much to set their prices at…

I think Milei missed a golden opportunity not holding Massa, the current economy minister, responsible for the current situation.
Apart from Milei's pathetic performance in the debate, I am also surprised at how ill-equipped the unfriendly journalists are when tackling Massa.
I guess they have had too much practice giving soft interviews to their favored candidates and can't think on their feet. For example, when Massa trots out the "sequia" excuse for the current state of affairs, why doesn't one of them ask: "OK smart arse, you're the economy ministry, tell the viewers what the monthly inflation and poverty rate and value of the dollar would be if there hadn't been a drought." Get him to put numbers on the impact. Would inflation be 10% per month instead of 12%? Would poverty be 40% instead of 42%? Would the dollar be worth 800 instead of 970? But no. He just gets a more or less free ride on that excuse.

peronists and Ks use any convenient excuse to deflect blame. it's never their fault

Back