Price comps?: Walmart, Makro, etc.

nledec

Registered
I'm wondering what your experiences have been in looking for the best prices on staple household items. Let's say pantry items, detergents, soda/water.
Do you recommend shopping at Walmart, Makro, some other mayorista, or your regular supermarket (Coto, Carrefour, etc.)?

Re: Walmart...

What's repugnant about saving the average American family $2000 (if not more) USD per year?

I really do miss shopping at Barrio Chino (spices and sauces)!

The store that always depressed me the most was Kmart.

All very interesting, but could we keep to the topic for the sake of some valuable info please? :)

Lee said:
Evil corporation that uses predatory tactics to crush competition and drive small mom and pop business out of business everywhere it opens it's stores.

Walmart never drove anyone out of business.

I don't think that there is any 1 shop that is significantly cheaper across the board than anywhere else. I do agree though that Walmart is probably slightly better (and the merchandise is exactly the same everywhere here (other than fruit and veg which you're better off buying at a grocers) so I strongly disagree that the quality is any worse than at a chino!).
I went to the one at Dot a couple of weeks ago and found milka chocolate at 11 pesos a big bar (compared t0 25 pesos at my local chino). There were also better prices (and more availability) for yoghurts, frozen soy burgers, crisps and tobasco sauce as well as a few other bargains in brand-name goods (I plan to go back there to do a big, monthly shop). Cheese is always much better/cheaper in one of my local chinos (though strangely, the other chinos in the area always have terrible looking cheese so I wouldn't recommend them generally). I find that Disco always seems to have more imported goods (more so than Jumbo, Carrefour or Walmart) but availability fluctuates. Barrio chino for spices, sauces and seafood (but not for basic shopping).

K Mart actually has good clothes for kids. And I quite like the depressing vibe...

CarverFan said:
K Mart actually has good clothes for kids. And I quite like the depressing vibe...

Kmart Sucks!

rainman-at.jpg

Kmart Sues Rain Man for Slander Over “Kmart Sucks!” Comment

Back