Price of cafes in BA & Europe

sergio

Registered
The theme of cafe prices in BA has come up a number of times. I am writing this from Vienna. A very nice cafe here called AIDA (from what I can see one of the better ones - located in a part of town equivalent to the heart of Recoleta) charges the following: espresso 1,70 euros; average 2,60 euros for a piece of cake (nothing more expensive). This corresponds to 7,50 pesos and 11,50 pesos respectively. I routinely pay the same for coffee in BA and more for a piece of cake (usually stale). The coffee here is superb. The pastry is world famous. Last week I had a cafe au lait (large, not small) and a wonderful, fresh, delicious pastry in the Paris Gare de l'Est. The price was 4,20 euros (about 18,5 pesos) - higher than BA but not that much. The last I checked coffee and 3 stale media lunas at La Biela was 13 pesos. Either Europe has become cheaper of BA has become more expensive! I know some expats will cry foul but this is what I see with my own eyes. Even London was affordable, especially now that the £ has dropped.

sergio said:
The theme of cafe prices in BA has come up a number of times. I am writing this from Vienna. A very nice cafe here called AIDA (from what I can see one of the better ones - located in a part of town equivalent to the heart of Recoleta) charges the following: espresso 1,70 euros; average 2,60 euros for a piece of cake (nothing more expensive). This corresponds to 7,50 pesos and 11,50 pesos respectively. I routinely pay the same for coffee in BA and more for a piece of cake (usually stale). The coffee here is superb. The pastry is world famous. Last week I had a cafe au lait (large, not small) and a wonderful, fresh, delicious pastry in the Paris Gare de l'Est. The price was 4,20 euros (about 18,5 pesos) - higher than BA but not that much. The last I checked coffee and 3 stale media lunas at La Biela was 13 pesos. Either Europe has become cheaper of BA has become more expensive! I know some expats will cry fowl but this is what I see with my own eyes. Even London was affordable, especially now that the £ has dropped.

Are there any nice apartments that are cheaper (or even less than four times the price by the meter) in London or Paris than Recoleta? Will the French or the English allow foreigners to live year round without leaving for a period of months after a six month stay?

Argentina still has some very important advantages, even if the coffee and bread aren't as good.

I haven't done a study of property values however based on a couple of conversations, prices in Vienna are much lower than those of London and Paris. I think it's possible to buy reasonably priced property in Europe, especially if you go outside major cities like London, Rome, Paris....I couldn't tell you about visa requirements. Frankly, there is nothing noble about Argentina's allowing tourists to work illegally or to stay beyond a reasonable period. Laws should be respected. Anyway, my topic was a price comparison of cafes. Property values and visas are really another topic!

I think coffee has a set price for the beans around the world, whether you it's to go at Starbucks in a paper cup, or you sit all day at a lovely corner cafe with soda water, a little cookie, maybe a little orange juice included in the price of your coffee.

Also, regarding La biela, you really are paying to be there and to be seen there, not for what you eat, in my opinion.
Nancy

The theme of cafe prices in BA has come up a number of times because you keep bringing it up. Since you mentioned London and Paris I was thinking how nice it would be to be able to afford to live there, just so I could enjoy the higher quality cafe. Reasonably priced coffee and bread doesn't add up to an affordable life there.

Tom, I personally do not go to La Biela to be seen. I like it because it is big and comfortable and because there is NO annoying music. That's another point I might have made - there is no irritating rock or any other sort of music at the cafes here in Vienna. As for price, there are more expensive cafes in Buenos Aires than La Biela.

steveinbsas said:
Since you mentioned London and Paris I was thinking how nice it would be to be able to afford to live there, just so I could enjoy the higher quality cafe. Reasonably priced coffee and bread doesn't add up to an affordable life in Paris or London...

Tee hee. Spot on.

Plus for 18 pesos I can go to a local natural deli, and eat a combo breakfast which includes a muffin, plate of fresh fruit and yoghurt, orange juice and a coffee. Then I can sit outside in the shade of a leafy tree, and relax.

London might be cheap due to the exchange rate, but you still pay through the nose for just about everything.

I'm not sure what your point is comparing coffee prices around the globe... If you want cheap coffee you can still get an espresso for E0.50 in Lisbon. Or you can come down to Belgrano in this strange little galleria A$3.50 for a small cortado.

There is no way you can compare Paris, London or even Vienna to Buenos Aires. There is no comparision. I'd like to know why people insist on trying to make this comparison?

The point of comparing coffee prices was as an indicator of the cost of living, similar to the McDonalds hamburger formula. My point was that Argentina is no longer a bargain. Cost of living relative to local salaries is high. Obviously expats with dollar incomes are more protected but even they must feel the effects of inflation. As for the cost of housing, I don't think it's so remarkably cheap any more. Maybe Pericles can help out here - what is the price of a nice two bedroom flat in a good part of Barrio Norte? I should think between $2-3,000 dollars per square meter. 80 meters = up to $240,000 dollars. Is that such a bargain? I know that central London and Paris are more expensive however there are other important cities in Europe that are more affordable. I am just raising the question of quality of life in Buenos Aires in light of current prices. I am glad if everyone is really happy in BA and is not affected by inflation. I was just throwing out some ideas!

sergio said:
As for the cost of housing, I don't think it's so remarkably cheap any more. Maybe Pericles can help out here - what is the price of a nice two bedroom flat in a good part of Barrio Norte? I should think between $2-3,000 dollars per square meter. 80 meters = up to $240,000 dollars. Is that such a bargain?

It looks like Pericles answered your question yesterday:

icon1.gif
Luminous Recoleta Two Bedroom Apartment
I have a excellent two bedroom apartment for sale in one of the best locations of Recoleta. It is in superb condition with great attention to detail. The property is al frente and on a high floor with great natural light all day long.

A excellent renter and valued less than US 2000 dollars a metre this will make a great investment or perfect home in the best neighbourhood of Buenos Aires.

Please contact me for further details via link.

http://www.remax.com.ar/PublicListin...117db&Index=43

Back