Price of cafes in BA & Europe

Although I do not agree with 6weeksonly's post, you cannot deny that there are many beggars on the streets, concentrated in the city centre / tourist-hotspots. I can't remember taking a train into Zona Norte and NOT being hassled by beggars (I hate Retiro's train stations).

I wouldn't say the culture is very monochrome, but moderately multicultural. Not only because of the European roots of most Argentines, but also because of the more recent influx of Peruvian, Bolivian and Paraguayan migrants. And let's not forget the cultural and economic impact that the US has (had) on the Argentine society...

I live in a tourist hotspot Palermo Soho and have maybe one time in the last 6 months been asked for money on the street. There are of course vendedores ambulantes but they are selling there wares in a quiet manner without the agression prevalent in many western societies.

The only point I do agree with is the food which is a terrible imitation of Italian or european cuisine. I believe this is due to the mucama mentality inherited by the colonial society where cooking was considered something inferior . The Italians who make up most of the Buenos Aires society do not know how to cook a good pasta or make any meal with flavour . Finding a good italian restaurant is possible but at an exhorbitant cost. Asian food as well is a very poor imitation of the true cuisine with prices way dearer than Europe or the USA.

So to sum up...
BA isn't the cheapest place in the world, you can buy better quality at lower prices elsewhere and there is pollution, dirt and poverty in places.
Glad we've established these important points.

Unlike 6weeksonly, I have been in BAires only 11 days, so maybe when I reach 14 days I will see things more clearly. But at this point, I think this is a fine city and I am thoroughly enjoying living here. I could easily make long lists of the things that I find annoying, and another long list of the things I find wonderful, and then all one need do is erase Buenos Aires from the heading and type in the name of any major world city you like; both lists would hardly change at all.

I have lived in Pretoria, Bratislava, Berlin, Vienna, and have spent extensive amounts of time in Prague, London, and Paris. This is the first time I have been south of Costa Rica in the Americas, but have traveled in Mexico and Costa Rica. There are things I found fascinating and interesting in all those places, and things I could bitch and moan about if so inclined.

What this thread contains is a not atypical expat exercise in the "things are terrible here and things are better there" sort of gripping that appears on every expat blog in every city I've spent time in.

So in that sense, BAires and her expats are entirely typical.

Which is not to say I don't like reading threads like this; it is always entertaining to see what people find to whine about, and then wonder why they don't move on and find a new place to whine about?

I've never paid more than $7.50 for an espresso in BA, nor heard irritating rock music in any cafe here. Maybe you're spending too much time in Palermo Hollywood? :rolleyes:

Back