Prices

One thing that should not be left out when talking about deals here is the menu ejecutivo. I've eaten at many high-end restaurants for lunch only and the prices cannot be beat.

Last week I had the Benihana lunch for $45 which included: miso soup, ginger salad, steak, tempura shrimp and vegetables, 3 pieces tuna, 2 pieces white fish, 4 piece roll, steak, rice, drink and ice cream. I was impressed, especially for that price.

846d1282570456-prices-img_0003-1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0003-1.JPG
    IMG_0003-1.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 44
AlexfromLA said:
I don't see the point in endless whining about prices. If someones not a citizen here and they can't stop complaining about the country, why don't they just leave ?

They are just trying to fit in. Complaining is the national past time.

I never knew they had one of the " menu ejecutivos ". Great price, I'm going to have to try that out this week. The service there sucks though.

And for some reason Benihana tastes better in LA

Sleuth said:
One thing that should not be left out when talking about deals here is the menu ejecutivo. I've eaten at many high-end restaurants for lunch only and the prices cannot be beat.

Last week I had the Benihana lunch for $45 which included: miso soup, ginger salad, steak, tempura shrimp and vegetables, 3 pieces tuna, 2 pieces white fish, 4 piece roll, steak, rice, drink and ice cream. I was impressed, especially for that price.

846d1282570456-prices-img_0003-1.jpg

AlexfromLA said:
I never knew they had one of the " menu ejecutivos ". Great price, I'm going to have to try that out this week. The service there sucks though.

And for some reason Benihana tastes better in LA

I think the last time I went to Benihana was for high school homecoming, but I was pleasantly surprised here. We had great service, a huge American-sized soda, great ginger dressing and real red tuna (so-so, but nice to have here nonetheless). We'll definitely be going back.

Thanks for the review of Benihana. I have been curious since it opened, but have not yet been there. Now I'll try it. Maybe lunch today.

As for the rest, come on children, it's a small playground, be nice.

But ... in defense of 65.

Would one agree that one knows more, understands more, is generally a good deal smarter at the age of 12 than they were at 2? Trust someone who has lived through the years a 20-something has not yet experienced, knowing more, understanding more, having experienced more at 12 versus 2, holds in spades for 65 versus 25.

"Just saying."

I think the complaining about prices comes from watching them go up, like as you speak. For example, the past few restaurants i've gone to have had the prices on the paper to go menus scratched out or with stickers over them, even though you can tell they were printed within the past few months. Also, since the argentines complain about rising prices, its something you can do to make conversation with people.

In terms of rising prices, eating out in restaurants or going to clubs here is cheaper than in NYC, hands down, and going out to NICE restaurants is cheaper than in Washington DC. What BA lacks are the cheap, ethnic places where you can get a HUGE and good meal for USD $4.00 or less and enjoy indian food or mexican food or asian food... sigh. Its just because there are less immigrants here i suppose.

Also, I have noticed that while going OUT or eating steak is cheaper, grocery bills are identical or bigger. For example, a bag of fresh ravioli at the store in BA is about 12-14 pesos in the cheap places, and fresh pasta in my old grocery store in dc was 3.50 a bag. Also, vegetables are similarly priced and of pretty ratty quality. Spinach and arugula are a LITTLE cheaper, but they come caked in mud so you have to spend about 30 minutes trying to get all the dirt off before eating, so i'd rather pay the american price and eat it right away. A can of beans here costs over 4 pesos, and they are smaller than their US counterparts, which usually cost about 80 cents. Thats a big difference, especially if you eat a lot of beans and vegetables.

Finally, quality pots and pans or knives, furniture, or any other necessity of LIVING (ahem, furnishing an apartment???) are INSANELY more expensive. I want a big heavy pan. In the US, you can buy a big iron pan at walmart for 20 bucks. In carrefour, the biggest pan was smaller, NOT made of iron, and cost 140 pesos. Thats insane.

In sum, in terms of traveling and temporary living (like in a furnished apartment, and going out to eat all the time), BA is comparatively really really really cheap. If you are digging in and living here, so attempting to eat healthy fresh meals at home that aren't made out of cows, and furnishing your place and buying clothes and blenders and stereos and things like that, BA is more expensive. But that is balanced by rent and being able to go out more and use public transport.

In sum - i love this city, but it has a skewed economy. Cheap beef at restaurants and low rent, but wildly expensive kitchen knives and pants. I just wish the cost of living surveys included things like common household goods, not just going out for dinner.

ps - if anyone knows a place to get a quality REALLY BIG iron pan, please tell me.

Another thing I've noticed -- the inaccurate and frequent use of Troll. When one doesn't like someone on boards like this, they usually call that person a Troll.

It is like calling Obama a Muslim because it's too PC to say what they really want to say: he's a N****r. Neither is accurate anyway.

Look up Troll, then you'll actually know one when you see one, and not dilute the word using it just because you don't like somebody.

AlexfromLA said:
I mentioned clothes once, in the context of some Argie on a two week trip to the US shopping at jc penny telling me Americans didn't know how to dress. I simply directed him to where he could find proper attire.

But I guess context doesn't mean much to someone like you.

Now seriously, aren't you like 65 years old ?Isn't it kind of embarrassing for you to be internet trolling some kid in his 20's ...

Now, here's Grandma Troll patiently setting the kid straight:

A while ago you engaged in a long pissing contest with SteveinBA about designer clothes, during which you contributed jewels such as this:
AlexfromLA said:
Haha,

Where on earth would you wear Zegna in Argentina ? No seriously ?

And if you're going to buy Zegna, why buy off the rack ? Isn't the whole point of EZ to buy Bespoke ?

About the only thing I would buy from EZ off the rack would be their ties.

Forgot this when you said you had mentioned clothes just once?

Hey, I’m supposed to be the ANCIENT one who forgets things, not you... :D

In the net neither gender, age, race, or looks, matter; the only thing that counts is brainpower. You seem somewhat challenged in that department, perhaps because of your tender age. But don't lose heart - some day you'll grow up, may get to shed your insecurities, and perhaps won't need to boast about your supposed wealth any longer.

Age does wonders for self-confidence. Take it from one who knows.

Lol @ " in defense of 65 ".

Old age is not automatic wisdom and wisdom is not knowledge. So no, your argument holds very little water.

There is a big difference between Noam Chomsky and joan rivers. Don't act like you don't understand the difference. Airheads come in all ages.

just saying.
Eternalnewbie said:
But ... in defense of 65.

Would one agree that one knows more, understands more, is generally a good deal smarter at the age of 12 than they were at 2? Trust someone who has lived through the years a 20-something has not yet experienced, knowing more, understanding more, having experienced more at 12 versus 2, holds in spades for 65 versus 25.

"Just saying."

Back