Private Spanish tutor for accent reduction

I'd feel a bit of an idiot if I tried to mimic exactly how Porteños speak like Dustin, I'm Scottish, not Porteño.

I reduce my accent as much as possible to avoid misunderstanding but if someone just forces a specific accent or uses phrases unnatural for a non native it would come across as attention seeking "youtuber" behaviour.
actually if you mostly communicate with the natives, the slang does become natural, can't be helped...not so much the accent, but intonations might stick as well...certainly happens after a couple of weeks in Spain, you catch yourself talking the way Gallegos do :)

way more...in Missiones Salta or Sun Juan you wouldn't even know you are in Agr if you are used to Rioplatense...even 'vos' is not used in many places

Way More... like 20? can you list a few..?

i guess it depends on how good an ear one has. Every province I've been to so far had it's own, intonations certainly differ wildly by region even within one province.
Even in BA province itself they speak differently, way less drawl than in BA. Certainly way less lunfardo use in most provinces.
Here is a link to a very good article detailing all that, so if you are willing to spend half an hour reading it, I am sure you'll enjoy it greatly.

Sorry, Rich, just realized the article might have been a bit too linguistic for the general public...
I've been to various small towns / pueblos in Rio Negro, Neuquén, Mendoza, San Juan, Jujuy, Salta, Cordoba, Misiones to name a few, and while they might not be officially considered different dialects, you can detect many differences in the pronunciations, certainly intonations and the manner of speaking ( polite vs casual vernacular and a use of slang / idiomatic expressions ). Especially when it comes to the natives not distinguishing between N / M, LL/Y, B/V etc...So a person who has a knowledge of phonetics and speaks a few languages, would pick it up right away...Uruguay's dialect on the other hand is very much Rioplatense sound wise, but they take all the fun out of it by making it completely flat intonations wise ( kinda similar to native Canadian English hehe ). I'd still take it over the ridiculous Colombian one as easy as it is to understand or a boring pathetic Chilean...Not to mention Mexican, yak...

actually if you mostly communicate with the natives, the slang does become natural, can't be helped...not so much the accent, but intonations might stick as well...certainly happens after a couple of weeks in Spain, you catch yourself talking the way Gallegos do :)

Yeah it's natural when it's picked up through speech over time with native speakers and expected, but I cringe at the "HEY LOOK AT ME!!!!!" attention seeking acts of gringos two minutes off a plane.

Yeah it's natural when it's picked up through speech over time with native speakers and expected, but I cringe at the "HEY LOOK AT ME!!!!!" attention seeking acts of gringos two minutes off a plane.
makes two of us...

Hi there,
I'm from the US but I have a pretty natural sounding local accent.
It could potentially be helpful for you to work with someone like me, who has a near-native handle on the accent but comes from a native English background.
I do agree partially with what "another" said, I do think that certain people have more natural ability for incorporating sounds from other languages, myself included. But I also think it's likely that by making a couple key sound adjustments, and really working at them, you could make a big difference in your "accent." Let me know if you're interested in meeting up. :)

Recently watched on TV an interview with The UK Ambassador in B.A. He`s a career diplomat wit an extensive number of postings in Spanish speaking countries . His gringo accent was very noticeable . If he can get by with his accent , then there is no need for coaching to reduce to reduce the Gringo accent...!

I have traveled all over extensively in South And Central America.

Two most toughest Spanish accents to catch ( for a non native) are - Paraguayan Spanish and Venezuelan ( especially the Carribean coast one).

The easiest ones to catch when you are just starting out are Peruvian and Colombian.

Back