Probable Entry Denial At Ezeiza After Overstay

Wondering the same. If she had any problems (someone with a legitimate reason to reenter as her spouse is Argentine)...other permatourists should really do anything possible to regularize their situations.

Ok she flew with american airlines, connection in miami, absolutely no problem getting on the plain. Got to ezeiza, she gave the inspector her passport with the reciprocity fee, asked what she was doing in argentina and just said "im coming to get my residency", didnt ask for anything else, said "careful with this (pointing at her last entry stamp)" and she went through. So im guessing after four overstays she didnt get flagged or they would have said something else.

The inspector she got was a girl that had just started her shift, so im guessing that helped with her good mood. My suggestion, be nice and honest at all times.

Wonderful news!!!!

PS: I'm sure everyone here is happy for both of you!

And a few are also relieved...

Hi, I'm the American wife. :) I wanted to give a more detailed explanation of how everything went, in case someone else reading is in the same situation. First of all, I think the idea that it depends on the mood of the immigrations officer is 100% true. As my husband said, the woman who helped me had just started her shift (she had only had one other person before me) and she was in a chipper mood (such a surprise at immigrations!). I started by being cordial and friendly and asked how her day was. We spoke in English, if that is of any significance, because she greeted me with a "hello." I handed her my passport open to the reciprocity reciept sticker. She looked at that, then my main identification page, and then found my most recent entry without having to peruse the entire passport. I think that may have had something to do with my luck as I've had previous officers look through the whole thing and notice that I've overstayed more than once (as was the case, when I left the country 10 days ago, with the woman who told me that four times overstaying were too many and I would not be allowed back in the country...but that woman was, by contrast, in a miserable mood when she attended me).

After seeing on my most recent exit stamp that I had overstayed, the officer asked me how long I would be in the country. I said, "Actually, I'm planning on starting my residency. I'm married to an Argentine." She to pointed to the note of overstay on the stamp and said to be careful with overstaying again and that I had 90 days to get my residency. She took my picture and thumbprint, asked for the address I'd be staying at (I gave our home address), and sent me on my way. It was a major relief.

If there was anything I would have done different, it would have been of course to pay the renewal fee on time. My husband and I actually went to Migraciones in Puerto Madero to do so before my 90 days were up, but the officer there told us, as an overstay wouldn't affect my ability to get my residency that it wouldn't be worth the money to pay that and then the residency fees. He was definitely trying to help, and at the time I figured I'd be here for the rest of the year. Unfortunately, I had to go home for a funeral unexpectedly just a couple weeks later, and well, you all know what happened. Anyway, lesson learned- better to be safe than sorry.

First of all, I think the idea that it depends on the mood of the immigrations officer is 100% true.

This is true, and cannot be overstated - both for Argentine, and, yes, even for US immigration authorities. A pleasant casual "G'morning!" (or "buenas!" on this side) and a bit of pleasant banter about what time they started their shift or whatever can go a long way to making unpleasantries disappear, or to just waste less time even if there's nothing to actually fear.

This is true, and cannot be overstated - both for Argentine, and, yes, even for US immigration authorities. A pleasant casual "G'morning!" (or "buenas!" on this side) and a bit of pleasant banter about what time they started their shift or whatever can go a long way to making unpleasantries disappear, or to just waste less time even if there's nothing to actually fear.
Unless you happen to be entering the US via Miami and encounter the usual pissed off TSA drone that barely speaks English. Smile and run.

Back