Problem with exlandlord not releasing guarantee

You might want to contact the Camara Argentina de Propiedad Horizontal y Actividades Immobiliarias.
They're on Peru 570 Street in the neighborhood of San Telmo. Probably best to go there in person.

thank you, I know exactly where that is - I will be going there next week

I am not sure why you are asking so many questions - but thank you for your concern. Other members have provided me what appears to be valuable information, and I will be using the information that I have received from other members of this group.
Because the information you gave was not enough to actually give you good advice. If your contract has a penalty for terminating the rental early, and you signed a 3 year lease, but sent legal notification it comes out as if you terminated the rental early and you will have to pay whatever your contract says ( some put 3 months! ). It is clear to me it was a scam, some contracts include a clause that says you have to return the property in the same state ( and that includes re painting the whole place, etc ). I am not sure it can still be done but you should have reported this to the police over fraud when it happened... Not sure how much money is involved but best of luck. Clearly this person set you up, I have not seen this specific scam before ( and I am local ). Most inquilinos associations are collapsed these days, but it is definitely worth it trying to get their input or a lawyer's.

Last edited:
Because the information you gave was not enough to actually give you good advice. If your contract has a penalty for terminating the rental early, and you signed a 3 year lease, but sent legal notification it comes out as if you terminated the rental early and you will have to pay whatever your contract says ( some put 3 months! ). It is clear to me it was a scam, some contracts include a clause that says you have to return the property in the same state ( and that includes re painting the whole place, etc ). I am not sure it can still be done but you should have reported this to the police over fraud when it happened... Not sure how much money is involved but best of luck. Clearly this person set you up, I have not seen this specific scam before ( and I am local ). Most inquilinos associations are collapsed these days, but it is definitely worth it trying to get their input or a lawyer's.
@NYCRover
Wot @nikad sed - in spades.

I suspect that anybody from Argentina who wanted to rent in NYC would find it just as confusing as you have found renting here because they would not be used to the NYC way of doing things. Words do not necessarily have the meanings that you might commonly associate with them and there are very specific processes in play in Buenos Aires that are not common anywhere else. It doesn't help that the laws - which are pretty complicated anyway - have changed drastically - twice - in a very short time.

If you decide to rent again in Buenos Aires - and I hope that you do - there's lots of information available on this site through using the search feature. And if things still don't make sense, just ask on the forum before you hand over any money.

I still don't understand why are you talking about a guarantee, if it was cash you left instead of a traditional co-signer with real estate or salary receipts. The clause of giving notice a couple of months in advance is pretty standard, what is not standard ( and I don't know why you signed something that was not real ) is to write a contract for 3 years if you intend to write for a year an a half. I would talk to a lawyer. Why did you leave the apartment? Was it in good condition? What is the reason he gives for holding the deposit / guarantee? How many months is it worth?

First of all I want to thank those that have provided me with some helpful information. Second it is important to note that early termination of a three year contract are regulated by the government not by an individual contract. Ms Nikad I will not be answering any of your questions -- OTHER MEMBERS HAVE PROVIDED ME WITH THE INFORMATION I NEED. Have a good day.

First of all I want to thank those that have provided me with some helpful information. Second it is important to note that early termination of a three year contract are regulated by the government not by an individual contract. Ms Nikad I will not be answering any of your questions -- OTHER MEMBERS HAVE PROVIDED ME WITH THE INFORMATION I NEED. Have a good day.
With an attitude like that I think it's you who needs your windows put through

I am not sure why you are asking so many questions
It would be nice if you could explain at least what you mean by ‘guarantee’. So other people can learn how to avoid a similar situation. Are you talking about cash you left as a deposit? Or the typical definition of rental contract “guarantee“ using another property or a co-signer?

nikad i know you have always been helpful. nycrover she knows what she is talking about. i would still like to understand what you think a guarantee is. in BA its not a deposit like the US. my suggestion is to not be defensive, she could help you

Back