Property tax to increase by an average of 66%

I was in Lima a couple of months ago. Good, cheap food, nice tourists areas but none of the things that have drawn me to BA. Culture, European feel, lots of things happening all the time, etc. A major world city that's maybe, a little shabby.

fred mertz said:
Watch you rents sky rocket. If you think that landlords won´t pass on the higher costs, you're living in a wonderland, Alice.
I got my unsubsidized gas bill, this morning. 100% increase over the last bill.

Add on to the removal of subsidies that rates for electricity may increase by 34% as well. This would mean quadrupling of monthly bills. (BA Herald)

I really enjoyed Lima when I was there. GREAT restaurants, definite buzz, fun bars, cheap and hey, you can get dollars out of the ATM;) I was only there for a few days and had local friends but it definitely had a happening vibe in the places we went.

Unless you have a good job and/or a support network that can assist you, I can't imagine a newcomer trying to settle in BsAs and live a good quality of life while earning a peso salary. COL is sky-rocketing.

Ecuador is pretty cheap, as well. I didn't think the bar scene in Quito was all that fun -- or safe. However, the country is amazingly beautiful. My coworkers there were doing weekend trips every weekend. Quito itself is beautiful with the mountains and all.

And as far as the cost of living, it is much cheaper there than Buenos Aires. Utilities were a bit expensive, but taxis, groceries, etc., were a bargain. The grocery stores also have a lot of U.S. imports, even butter! The currency is the U.S. dollar.

Is ABL a true property tax? Isn't it a tax by CABA for to pay for municipal services ,e.g., water/sewer/gargabe pickup. How much of the ABL proceeds goes to fund schools or other government functions typically underwritten by property taxes?
There may be a lot of RE speculaion in BA, but the price of a nice apt in the Recoleta is still about the 1/4 the cost of a similar apt in NYC, not to mention London, Paris, Tokyo or almost all other world capitols where apts cost multiples of what they cost here. OK...location, location,location, but the fact remains that on a comparative basis (to other necessities or luxuries) apts in BA are a bargain.

scarface said:
Is ABL a true property tax? Isn't it a tax by CABA for to pay for municipal services ,e.g., water/sewer/gargabe pickup. How much of the ABL proceeds goes to fund schools or other government functions typically underwritten by property taxes?
There may be a lot of RE speculaion in BA, but the price of a nice apt in the Recoleta is still about the 1/4 the cost of a similar apt in NYC, not to mention London, Paris, Tokyo or almost all other world capitols where apts cost multiples of what they cost here. OK...location, location,location, but the fact remains that on a comparative basis (to other necessities or luxuries) apts in BA are a bargain.

This is completely true and the architecture of Recoleta is comparable to some of the best that Europe has to offer. The Buenos Aires Real estate market is not for the faint -hearted but if you look with care and choose a good realtor there are certainly great deals out there and I have one atm located on Parera and Alvear considered one of the most regal addresses of La Recoleta. This 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment in impeccable conditions is being sold for US $ 330,000 including all its inventory. It has 133 metres by title deed ( less tha US $ 2500 a metre in a location that is average US $ 3300 per metre for similar properties.

Please click the link for further info on this beautiful property

http://www.remax.com.ar/181059-91

There's no question that real estate is a bargain and will probably become morebof one pretty quickly, especially on the high end. I'm not surprised to see Perry's client selling the desirable property at $1000 per meter below the competition right now. That's a smart seller who wants to get out of the market before the new realities cause a big correction.

If you want to stay in BA long term, real estate will probably be the biggest advantage over any major first world city. But those just speculating are going to take a hit now and will in cycles until there is rational government.

The annual property taxes (Arba) for my house increased 35% from $543 in 2011 to $733 for 2012. There is a discount of $100 pesos if I pay in full by mid-Feruary. The tax is based on finished construction of 245 mtrs 2 and land of 5,848 mtrs 2.

The taxes on the adjacent lot which is the same size but with no buildings doubled (from $31 to $62 pesos). The discount is $10 pesos if I make a single payment.

Back