Protest Against Milei’s Move to Scrap Film Institute, INCAA

One thing is obvious. Nobody on this list has ever worked in the entertainment industry. Pretty much every comment offered here is incorrect.
FACT 1: arts programs have been shown, repeatedly, to have a multiplier effect. “Every $1 increase in the demand for arts and culture generates $1.69 in total output; for every job created from new demand for the arts, an additional 1.62 positions are also created.” (Office of Research & Analysis National Endowment for the Arts.)
The profit from film production is not the point. It’s just icing.
FACT 2: People like going to movies and watch long-form TV. If these are not produced in country you’re simply shipping desperately needed hard currency overseas. And losing the economic benefits of Fact 1. Should films and TV be produced when people are starving? That’s for you to say? Ask the people. What happened during the American depression? Hungry people went to the movies. Their decision. They needed, wanted to be entertained.
All this is about money. Now we get to all the intangibles. Does have a vibrant film/tv/arts community add to the emotional and intellectual health and well-being and prestige of the nation? You tell me.

No brainer. Ask yourself: why in the depression 1930s did the film industries of the US, Germany etc. produce so many fluffy romantic comedies? Because audiences, as cash-strapped as they were, wanted to be entertained and their minds taken off the unhappiness of the day. Ever see “Sullivan’s Travels”? (Paramount, 1941).
No brainer is a correct term as in Argentina's government immense corruption seems to have found a home with the "arts". If something is profitable, private industry will fund it.

What surprises me is that people who were particularly drawn to Argentina because of its cultural life are now trying to establish some kind of supremacy and boast about having a better understanding of life.

Argentina is not rational. Attempting to understand it especially with a small merchant mindset is futile. If the government supports the arts, that should actually be commended. If the money weren't spent on the arts, it would probably have been stolen anyway :)

What surprises me is that people who were particularly drawn to Argentina because of its cultural life are now trying to establish some kind of supremacy and boast about having a better understanding of life.

Argentina is not rational. Attempting to understand it especially with a small merchant mindset is futile. If the government supports the arts, that should actually be commended. If the money weren't spent on the arts, it would probably have been stolen anyway :)

No one is claiming supremacy over understanding life.

It's a debate over if the money would be better allocated to the poor or to finance films.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

That doesn't mean that your argument is logical.

I'll ask again. Which Argentine films are cash-strapped Argentinos flocking to in large numbers these days? In the last 10, 20 years? Which of those films are taking their minds off of the unhappiness of the day?

No, I'm sorry. When you're trying to make the case you're making, it's not reductionist at all.

First, you're talking about a hollywood movie, not an Argentine movie. Second, I think we all know that most people like seeing movies. So what?

I didn't say it was de facto prejudiced. I said it's possibly biased, and it's the only data you provide.

Now that's just hilarious.

I'm not sure that you've pointed out any facts for certain, other than people like movies.

I didn't say anything about Preston Sturges. I only said that I saw the film. Did Preston Sturges say somewhere that this was his point in the film? Or is that your interpretation? Because I didn't particularly see it that way.

Anyway, if you want to write another long rebuttal, go ahead, but I've said all I have to say on the subject. Each person will decide for himself or herself whether you've made a compelling argument or not.

I will agree with you that most people like movies.
Preston Sturges was the most famous wrriter/director of his day in Hollywood. He wrote and directed “Sullivan’s Travels.” His point in the film, which you seem to have missed, is: "There's a lot to be said for making people laugh. Did you know that that's all some people have? It isn't much, but it's better than nothing in this cockeyed caravan.” A lengthy rebuttal is not necessary, since experience doesn’t seem matter. Let’s just agree that most people do like movies and that would seem to be a good argument for making more movies, of all sorts, even government subsidized ones, because while it isn’t much, it’s all some people have.

Yeah, supply and demand work for art as well. There's never been an example of a genius artist who lived in deep poverty and was only recognized properly after his death.
Then perhaps they should seek a real job!

Yeah, supply and demand work for art as well. There's never been an example of a genius artist who lived in deep poverty and was only recognized properly after his death.
LOL. Try Van Gogh for starters. Lived off of handouts from his brother and never sold a painting in his entire life. Was only properly recognized after his death.

Preston Sturges was the most famous wrriter/director of his day in Hollywood. He wrote and directed “Sullivan’s Travels.” His point in the film, which you seem to have missed, is: "There's a lot to be said for making people laugh. Did you know that that's all some people have? It isn't much, but it's better than nothing in this cockeyed caravan.” A lengthy rebuttal is not necessary, since experience doesn’t seem matter. Let’s just agree that most people do like movies and that would seem to be a good argument for making more movies, of all sorts, even government subsidized ones, because while it isn’t much, it’s all some people have.
I didn't miss anything. Sometimes I hate the internet.

Back