Public Schools

SaraSara said:
Schools are run by local boards, who choose the curriculum and the textbooks.

http://www.nea.org/home/39060.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html?_r=1

Controversial changes may be in store for your textbooks, courtesy of the Texas state school board.

The standards will guide textbook purchases and classroom instruction over the next decade – and maybe not just in Texas. National publishers usually cater to its demands because the school board is probably the most influential in the country. Texas buys 48 million textbooks every year. No other state, except California, wields that sort of market clout..

Nikad is right. I am not sure if the two special schools she refers to (you must pass an exam to enter) are nearly as good as they used to be, though. Public education in Argentina 50 years ago was good but it's really bad nowadays. To begin with, the school day is only 1/2 day. You go in the morning until lunch time, in the afternoon or some go at night. Facilities are terrible and teachers are poorly trained. You don't need a university degree to be a teacher in Argentina - just a certificate from a teacher training school and almost all are poor. There is a wide range of private schools but only a few are remotely acceptable by North American standards and they're way below the standards of good private schools in the US. The few places that come close to good standards are places like Saint Andrews which costs several thousand pesos a month. Alex is wildly exaggerating the problems with US education. Teachers salaries are not poor these days. I have a friend who is earning $78,000 in an inner city (all African-American / hispanic) school. Another teaches in a good suburban district and makes $110,000. Not bad for a less than 10 month school year.

ghost said:
You can identify the pastors easily because they live in Martinez, San Isidro, Pilar and Accusso. Drive new SUVs and dine at Kansas 3 times a week.

The Mormons are onto a good thing, too. Every time I fly to the US there's a large group of them on the plane. Nothing like organized religion for seeing the world.

SaraSara said:
They are funded by the Education Department - el Ministerio de Educacion - which in turn is funded (or rather underfunded by Congress), which in turn gets its marching orders from the Presidency.

Argentina's government structure is Federal in name only - most power is centered in, and flows from, Buenos Aires. The judicial and legislative branches of the government are a laugh - the Executive branch has all the power.

Thanks. I saw you mentioned it early.
Do you know how the funds are distributed?

Sorry, I don't know that. I would suspect they are split according to the individual pull of each Province: obedient Governors get a good share, uncooperative ones practically nothing. That's the way things are generally done here.

So the overall opinion here is... bad. Its good to know. I've been talking to some Argentines about it and they say... yes... in general.. terrible but there there is a huge variation in the quality of the schools... even within the same neighborhood. But one thing I don't agree with that a lot of people here are criticizing the half day schools... at least at the lower levels. It might be wishful thinking but... I think less time in school at a younger age and more time with the parents or the grandparents... could be positive. I obviously have no personal experience here.

Alilou said:
But one thing I don't agree with that a lot of people here are criticizing the half day schools... at least at the lower levels. It might be wishful thinking but... I think less time in school at a younger age and more time with the parents or the grandparents... could be positive. I obviously have no personal experience here.

I agree. Besides spending time with their parents and grandparents, children need time to play, take car of their pets, invent games of their own, and daydream. Little kids are sometimes booked solid with school, private music or tennis lessons, and organized activities of all kinds - it's sad.

AlexfromLA said:
Lol,

The Chinese are gonna run roughshod over this generation.

NLOLBST

Yes - and they will reach the cemetery much richer, and much faster.

(Not Laughing Out Loud But Smiling Tolerantly)

Lol

That made no sense. The Chinese are the oldest continuous civilization in human history. They aren't going anywhere and they sure aren't spending their time softening up their offspring.

You mentioned creationism at some point in this thread, you might also want to remember Darwinism.

/

( / = end thread )

Back