Public transportation

rihornos said:
I have a card called Sube I got it in the subway and now I charge around 20 pesos per week and I don´t worry for coins, Sube card is of course for subway, buses and trains, it is free and can be charged in the subway stations or at many kioskos, many buses have the machine that read cards plus I don´t have to look for coins!!!

I was just going to ask if SUBE has caught on at all. I'm not in BA now, but I'll be there in a few months. Has your experience with it been positive? Do many use it?

can i get a little more information on getting monedas at banks? can you go to any bank? do you have to be a customer?

also, re: the 'sube' (really, the 'monedero') on buses, it completely varies by bus line. when i lived near the 12, nearly all of the 12 buses (90% or so) had a functioning machine. the 65, which i take now, doesn't even have the machines.

AndrewWoodward said:
I was just going to ask if SUBE has caught on at all. I'm not in BA now, but I'll be there in a few months. Has your experience with it been positive? Do many use it?

None of the buses that I take have it active yet and since it's not difficult to pop into the bank and get coins I haven't bothered. My husband uses it on the subte everyday.

jrockstar80 said:
can i get a little more information on getting monedas at banks? can you go to any bank? do you have to be a customer?

You can go to any bank, or at least I've never been turned down. The ones near me that I go to most often are Galicia & Patagonia. Some have lines for clients, vips, or "no clientes". Pick the appropriate line. :)

Like I said above, usually I pass the bank, look in to see how many people are in line an if there is only one or two I go in. I give them my 100 & ask for monedas. They used to give me 10 pesos in coins but recently I've been getting rolls of 25 1-peso coins.

gsi16386 said:
Right, so buses are basically free as mentioned in a previous post, but knowing how to use the bus is a different story. There are different fares for different distances and you have to indicate what fair you're going to pay to the bus driver when you hop on board. The only fares that I've paid for are 1.10, 1.20, and 1.25 pesos. You can tell the driver whatever fare you want, but I think as long as you pay 1.25 you won't have any issues traveling anywhere.

When I first started using the bus I figured there was one fare for everyone so I was confused when the driver would ask me "cuanto?" and I would just reply with "uno" because I was just buying a ticket for me. But now I understand I am supposed to know the fare for where I got on to where I am getting off.

So now if I am on a new bus and I haven't had time to memorize the bus routes and associated costs I just say "uno, veinticinco" or tell the bus driver where I am going and let him figure out the fare.

According to the CNRT, you have to tell them where you are going.

xibeca said:
According to the CNRT, you have to tell them where you are going.

Except the driver always asks "cuanto?" and not "donde vas?"

The SUBE card is only valid for few bus lines. You can check it on line.

Trips like Palermo to Olivos cost $1,75.

rihornos said:
I have a card called Sube I got it in the subway and now I charge around 20 pesos per week and I don´t worry for coins, Sube card is of course for subway, buses and trains, it is free and can be charged in the subway stations or at many kioskos, many buses have the machine that read cards plus I don´t have to look for coins!!!

I have the same card and it is great but the machines do not work in all the buses. When the card does not work you have to use coins. I wish they would implement a plan where if the card machine does not work and you have a card that you ride free because this has been going on for over a year and a half now. But this is just wishful thinking.

Back