Puerto Madero

On top of that now you have a villa ( 500 families ) right in front of it and a car cemetery that is contaminating the soil...

The villa right now is not really a security risk because the prefectura is keeping an eye on them. I assume this could change if the economy is going south again but in general the small Villa's are not really a problem and it's probally impossible to move them

If you live in PM you can also take the 152(and some other buses) on paseo Colon which take you everywhere. The tram is nice when you need to go microcentro, especially when it's hot. Hopefully they will construct it all the way to Retiro.

I think that the shopping near to the Hilton is going to have a supermarkt, that would help the people who live near 2 or 3 blocks.

The walk along the waterway is quite pleasant since your auditory senses are not bombarded by buses whizzing past. There's also a beautiful tall ship, the Sarmiento, that you can board for only two pesos. You can touch the steering wheel and old guns. You might even be able to load up one of the guns and blow up the customs building.... Well worth the price of admission.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. We did end up living in Puerto Madero - have been here a week and we love it! It was funny the day after we arrived we had breakfast in our new little favorite cafe - i Fresh Market and La Nation paper had an article on the front page titled: "Puerto Madero in between glamour and decay" which stated the good, bad and ugly of Puerto Madero. We must be far enough away from the ugly, because we haven't seen it yet.

I do get it that I think you either love it or hate it, and it all depends what you are looking for in your stay in BsAs. If you want local flair, hip and happening, lots of little shops and a city feel - then this is probably not the place for you.

But for us we wanted the views, to be close to the water and to be just a bit away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The walk to the Subte is a solid 10-15 min..maybe a little faster if you aren't wearing boots with a heel. But that's okay - I am getting a bit more excersice than usual that way. In the last week I have explored the microcenter, San Telmo (over the weekend the flea market atmosphere was fun!) and Palermo. All either walking, with the Subte or if loaded down with packages grabbed a taxi. So being "so far" from everything has not stopped us from getting out and about.

As we were only going to be here 3 months and it was due to my husbands work assignment, we wanted to hit the ground running so to speak and only move-in once. So I didn't want to move into a hotel and look for a place while we were here. If it had been a longer stay say 6mo to 1 year than maybe I would have done that. But these days with Google earth, internet and this forum we had a pretty good idea of the area and where to live. We also were very happy with the services of Bairesapartments.com and are lucky that the owner of the apartment is very nice as well. The apartment looked exactly like the pictures and video on the website.

betts said:
The walk to the Subte is a solid 10-15 min..maybe a little faster if you aren't wearing boots with a heel. But that's okay - I am getting a bit more excersice than usual that way. In the last week I have explored the microcenter, San Telmo (over the weekend the flea market atmosphere was fun!) and Palermo. All either walking, with the Subte or if loaded down with packages grabbed a taxi. So being "so far" from everything has not stopped us from getting out and about.

I'm sure the walk now during this time of year is quite pleasant & easy. I was there in the sweltering heat & it was not pleasant doing that walk when it was 30 degrees or more. Having said that, I did enjoy the pool. =o) If I were to stay there now, I probably would appreciate it more.

Enjoy your stay!

Betts, I'm glad to hear you picked PM. iFresh Market is one of our regular spots for lunch as well!.. and conviniently just around the corner from our place.

I also read that article from La Nacion... :D Found it to be a bit to too "hysterical" (like many pieces published by the local media). In the years we've been in PM we have not been affected by the "issues" the article described.

Anyways, welcome to BA! ;)

Back