Puerto Madero

betts

Registered
Any BAexpats live in Puerto Madero? What are you impressions of this area as a place to live for the 3 months we are here? It is not Palermo where everyone else seems to live - but looks interesting. How long is it to walk across the bridge and get to the subte L.N. Alem or Plaza de Mayo. Is the area safe? Any feedback would be great!

I do not know what it's like to live there but as far as safety is concerned the area is heavily trafficked by tourists and people there on business expense accounts, so there is a sizable police force present to keep it that way. There are plenty of restaurants - most likely overpriced. Puerto Madero is kind of long, so it depends on where you are exactly to get to the Alem stop. The closest is probably less than 5 minute walk.

Hey there!

Yet another reason to come here first, rent a place for a week, and check these areas out in person before you commit to a 3 month rental.

Puerto Madero would be at the bottom of neighborhoods I would recommend because, although it is clean and "safe", it is expensive and it is a long way to anywhere else with no public transportation close by. It is a fairly long (and unpleasant) walk to Retiro, especially at night in the winter.

Just my dos centavoes...

:)

David

betts said:
Any BAexpats live in Puerto Madero? What are you impressions of this area as a place to live for the 3 months we are here? It is not Palermo where everyone else seems to live - but looks interesting. How long is it to walk across the bridge and get to the subte L.N. Alem or Plaza de Mayo. Is the area safe? Any feedback would be great!

I completely agree with David. Tom and I wouldn't live there either, far from everything. We have a condo in Palermo.

Nancy

I lived in Puerto Madero for three months & hated it. There is "nothing there" & it's far from the real world.

I've never lived there, but . . . in walking through (or, rarely, dining there), it's always seemed sterile and a bit surreal. I'm no great fan of Palermo for living, either, but the feelling one gets -- that I get -- in P.M. is different and even less pleasant.

I stayed in Puerto Madero in a hotel, one of the 1st times I went to BA. We spend a fortune on taxis : too far from everywhere!

betts said:

Hi Betts! We've been living in Puerto Madero for 3 years and love it (so much, that we bought a place here). PM is BA's newest neighborhood and it is only 20 years old.

But I will start by saying that PM is not a neighborhood for everyone. Many people can find reasons to not live in PM, as we can find reasons not to for other neighborhoods. Choosing a neighborhood will depend on who you are, what you look for, what you consider important, and your budget. Each one is different in its own way and can have its advantages as well as disadvantages. I strongly agree with the other suggestion to come down and rent in a few neighborhoods to try them out. If you are going to be here for 3 months only, perhaps you can try living in a different place every month and get the most out of your stay.

Anyways; It is true that public transportation is lacking in PM. However, there are plenty of taxis, and the Alem metro station is fairly close. You can easily walk to it from dikes 3 and 4, or even jump on the tram if you're farther out (dike 2) to get close to it. There is also a colectivo line that runs through Alicia Moreau de Justo street right on the west side of the dikes. We personally do not like traveling on colectivos or subte and prefer to walk or take taxis everywhere. A taxi ride to Recoleta can be $15 pesos, and to Palermo around $22 pesos. A walk from dike 3 to Plaza de Mayo or the Alem subte station can be 10 to 15 minutes.

When it comes to security; It will be hard to find a safer neighborhood in BA city than Puerto Madero. The neighborhood is still a port, so it is under the jurisdiction and watch of the Prefectura (Coast Guard) and not the police. The Prefectura do an excellent job of policing and they can be found at almost every corner. They are well respected and trusted (much more so than the police). PM also has dozens of street/walkway security cameras all over the neighborhood, which are monitored in real-time by the Prefectura.

In summary; here's some of our pros for PM....
  • Very safe and clean
  • Quiet (except locations next to construction sites)
  • Good selection of restaurants and shops (although many can be pricey)
  • Excellent for walking and exercising (i.e., less risk of stepping on dog poo or tripping on pot holes every few steps)
  • Good parks and green areas to relax
  • New residential buildings with 24hr security and great amenities
  • Next to the micro-center and downtown area
  • Amazing views of the city and/or the river (if you are in a high rise)
and cons....
  • Can be pricey (for some renters)
  • No supermarket close by (mini markets available)
  • Lacks that "neighborly" soul that older neighborhoods have (changing as more residents move-in every year)
  • Lack of public transport (if you care for it)
As far as the claims "there's nothing there" and "far from everything", I personally disagree. But I do understand those things mean different things to different people. Its just a matter of figuring out what is important to you.

Just my 2¢.... Good luck! ;)

I have had the same experience, I love Puerto Madero and would not dream of living elsewhere, but know a lot of people say the same about Palermo - both are very different barrios. One new modern, and the other a bit more that neighboorhood feeling - lots of bars and restaurants, and people.
Agree with the list above. My reasons for liking Puerto Madero are my flat has a big pool, gym, I can use the bank at night, and feel safe all the time, its nice and quiet, and there's a huge nature reserve for morning walks/ biking/ jogging - the restaurants are good and its only 15 min walk to the microcentre, all the buses, metro's and san Telmo. And in way of transport its about 20 - 30 pesos in a cab to palermo, which is about 4 dollars. And I like that its not a big expat hang out, I was one of the only European foreigners in our flats - lots of other LATAM expats though. And the best part is crossing the bridge at the end of a crazy day in the city and its just peaceful, quiet and relaxing. I do admit it needs a big supermarket, and if I go out I tend to head over to Palermo - but then enjoy heading home again. Good luck in you decision making ;-)

mikaela said:
I have had the same experience, I love Puerto Madero and would not dream of living elsewhere, but know a lot of people say the same about Palermo - both are very different barrios. One new modern, and the other a bit more that neighboorhood feeling - lots of bars and restaurants, and people.
Agree with the list above. My reasons for liking Puerto Madero are my flat has a big pool, gym, I can use the bank at night, and feel safe all the time, its nice and quiet, and there's a huge nature reserve for morning walks/ biking/ jogging - the restaurants are good and its only 15 min walk to the microcentre, all the buses, metro's and san Telmo. And in way of transport its about 20 - 30 pesos in a cab to palermo, which is about 4 dollars. And I like that its not a big expat hang out, I was one of the only European foreigners in our flats - lots of other LATAM expats though. And the best part is crossing the bridge at the end of a crazy day in the city and its just peaceful, quiet and relaxing. I do admit it needs a big supermarket, and if I go out I tend to head over to Palermo - but then enjoy heading home again. Good luck in you decision making ;-)

I always find it interesting how people have completely different experiences of the same place.

When I lived there we were far from the only US or European foreigners there; I found it full of foreigners and since there are very few locals the foreigners stood out much more than they do in the part of Palmero I live in or in Belgrano, or so.

PM might be safe, but I didn't feel safe. All of those large empty isolated spaces made me feel extremely uncomfortable at night and as soon as you crossed out of the zone I also didn't feel safe anymore, again at night. I find all that isolation uncomfortable.

Don't get me wrong. I like PM especially as you say, the sunset, the quiet, the breeze, looking at the water. I'm glad a stayed there, but I wouldn't do it again.

PS, I think you mean about 4 Euros, not dollars.

Back