Puff pastry of foie gras with a fresh fig marmelade macerated in sweet white wine

French jurist

Registered
Since this is the food section & I enjoy cooking, I'm giving a try at translating & showing in pictures a few french recipes.

I'm starting with quite an "heavyweight" since those are Profiteroles (puff pastry) of foie gras with figs macerated in sweet white wine.

Level for it is intermediate, cost is quite prohibitive due to the imported foie gras but it's the right time to purchase foie gras in cans since they are offered at 50% off in Jumbo & Disco (the ones that did not sell for Christmas = they are all good through the whole 2011 year). Originally priced around 650 pesos for 400 grams you can find them around 298/325 pesos right now (I'd be delighted to know the supermarkets still having some : I bought all the remaining ones in the supermarkets around my house).

Ingredients (4 people) :
- 300 grams of foie gras
- pepper, salt
- 60 grams of butter
- 25 centiliters of water
- 4 eggs
- 125 grams of flour
- 300 grams of fresh figs
- fig marmelade (about 150 grams)
- half glass (10/15 cl) of a sweet white wine.

foig1.jpg

Puff pastry :
- Preheat the oven at 180C (more or less 6/7)
- Melt the butter in 25 cl of water with a pinch of salt

foig1bis.jpg

foig2.jpg

- Once melted, make it boil
- Add at once the flour and keep stirring until it becomes somekind of non sticky ball.

foig3.jpg

foig4.jpg

- Put this material into another recipient
- Add one whole egg and stir

foig5.jpg

- Add the 3 other eggs and stir

foig6.jpg

foig7.jpg

- Now on an oven plate or on an alumium foil with a layer of butter on it, make little balls of about 4 cm in diameter : you can use either a pastry bag or a spoon.

foig8.jpg

- Put in the oven for 20/25 minutes, the balls will inflate. Let them cool down inside the oven leaving the door half opened.

foig9.jpg

foig10.jpg

- Now for the fig marmelade :
- Put the figs to cook very slowly with two large spoons of water, until they show a marmelade look.

foig11.jpg

foig12.jpg

- Now add the fig marmelade you bought PLUS the white wine, then let it cook for 10 minutes (eventually a bit longer if it's too liquid, but the taste of the wine should remain to obtain a subtile complexion of aromas).

foig13.jpg

- Let it cool down.

- Now it's time to stuff the profiteroles ! Cut the top, fill them with the marmelade, add a slice of foie gras, put a light touch of pepper + salt and place back the little hat ! (Note : keep the foie gras until the last moment in the refrigerator = it needs to be eaten cold and having the puff pastry & marmelade at room temperature while having the cold foie gras on the top makes the taste even better !).

foig14.jpg

foig15.jpg

Mmmm, I don't eat foie gras, but it looks delicious without it! Maybe vegetarians could use cheese instead.

HEY MAN! MAD PROPS TO you! looks yummy! I didnt know they sell foie in cans in Argentina

How about making like a terrine of foie?? or beet terrine with granny smith apples, goat cheese! do they sell the terrine molds over there???

Back