Punta del Este? Uruguay?

bebero said:
100,000?????? The year-round population of Punta del Este is 20,000, according to the last census (two years ago)
The thing about Punta del Este is that yes, it is beautiful, but it is a pretty small town. There aren't any cultural activities, classes to take, concerts to go, clubs, etc. A friend of mine lives there and she's been wanting to take a writing class for years and she can't find anything. The mall is certainly not a "mega mall".

I absolutely love it but I couldn't live there. It just depends on the type of living you want.

It suely depends on the lifestyle you want. Honestly on the example you just gave, writing class, well, that's what the internet's for. But interestingly enough I was able to find good (native) French lessons just by biking through a "native" neighborhood and paying attention at all the little billboards people put up freely offering their products and services.

The truth is that the ghost town character of Punta has been slowly been changing with more permanent residents and with the people of Montevideo becoming wealthier and spending weekends there (making most little shops and restaurants open from Friday to Sunday throughout the year).

The population of Departamento de Maldonado (Punta del Este, Maldonado, Piriapolis, la barra, punta ballena), a county smaller than the greater B.A. area has according to the last census 160,000+ human inhabitants, and betwen 100 and 200,000 sea lions.

The mall is certainly not a megamall but it plays that role. Its anchor supermarket certainly is bigger, cleaner and immensely more diverse than any supermarket you can find here, and you can buy a tent, fish, produce, imported spices, cheap clothes and prime property at the same place http://www3.tinglesa.com.uy/ and of course there's also a "fresh market" (an organic store, with the freshes produce being exhibited, as noted, one day a week, in a feast of inexpensive greenery), a disco (not the same company as here) and discount store kinda like k mart that goes by the name "devoto".

Regarding Sweet Mellow Lucass' linked article, it is to be noted that one is dealing with quiet an upstanding society when it is freaking news that "codes and ethic values" might be at risk - or that a Latin American country is "in fear of becoming Latinamericanized"

and all of that intolerable peace and manners just 4 hours ferry from B.A., 30 mins plane

Matt84 said:
It suely depends on the lifestyle you want. Honestly on the example you just gave, writing class, well, that's what the internet's for. But interestingly enough I was able to find good (native) French lessons just by biking through a "native" neighborhood and paying attention at all the little billboards people put up freely offering their products and services.

The truth is that the ghost town character of Punta has been slowly been changing with more permanent residents and with the people of Montevideo becoming wealthier and spending weekends there (making most little shops and restaurants open from Friday to Sunday throughout the year).

The population of Departamento de Maldonado (Punta del Este, Maldonado, Piriapolis, la barra, punta ballena), a county smaller than the greater B.A. area has according to the last census 160,000+ human inhabitants, and betwen 100 and 200,000 sea lions.

The mall is certainly not a megamall but it plays that role. Its anchor supermarket certainly is bigger, cleaner and immensely more diverse than any supermarket you can find here, and you can buy a tent, fish, produce, imported spices, cheap clothes and prime property at the same place http://www3.tinglesa.com.uy/ and of course there's also a "fresh market" (an organic store, with the freshes produce being exhibited, as noted, one day a week, in a feast of inexpensive greenery), a disco (not the same company as here) and discount store kinda like k mart that goes by the name "devoto".

Regarding Sweet Mellow Lucass' linked article, it is to be noted that one is dealing with quiet an upstanding society when it is freaking news that "codes and ethic values" might be at risk - or that a Latin American country is "in fear of becoming Latinamericanized"

and all of that intolerable peace and manners just 4 hours ferry from B.A., 30 mins plane

I know that Maldonado has over 100,000 inhabitants, but Punta del Este is not Maldonado, it's just a part. The town of Punta del Este has 20,000

To me, the best part about Uruguay is its main dairy company, Conaprole. And also, the lifelong tradition of imported spices.

Oh, and btw, el Devoto is not a discount store. It's a regular big supermarket, like Jumbo.

I'm planning a one week trip to Uruguay in a few weeks. Going to rent a car and looking for suggestions as to where to go. I'm familiar with Colonia, Montevideo, and have been reading about here about Punta de Este. There has to be more to Uruguay than that. This is a spur of the moment trip so I didn't bring a Uruguay guide book with me. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Tom - keep driving past Punta del Este to more off the map beach towns such as Punta del Diablo and Cabo Polonio. I just went to Cabo Polonio and it is really a cool place (no electricity for the most part, and you have to get a ride in a 4-wheeler safari jeep to get to the town). You can rent a rustic house there for about $100us/night (no camping allowed).
Pirapolis is another cool beach town between Montevideo and PDE. Check it out on your way. Uruguay is amazing - you will fall in love!

tom- I went to La Paloma for new year's and it's a beautiful little beach town. It's surrounded by a forest and the beaches are really nice. It's really calm and there's not a lot of people so you can definitely relax. I had some friends who went to La Pedrera and also said it was a great place. There's also Punta del Diablo. All these little beach cities are along the coast and not too far from each other so with a car it's easy to stop where you want. Hope the info helps!

Back