Ques on pay in the UK. Anyone from the UK?

Dipoots

Registered
I am not sure if this is the best place to post such a ques.

An ex colleague of mine got offered a middle management operations position in the UK with a multinational oil company. I was quite surprised that the proposed basic salary is that high for that type of work. He was offered close to 17,000 GBP (not Egyptian Pound :)) for basic and about 2-3K for allowance per month. Is this normal? what would the tax rate be like? would allowance be taxed?

Thanks.

The basic sounds terrible for a middle management position, I was earning more than that in 1989 !. With an allowances of £2,000-£3,000 PCM it sounds more appealing.

For UK residents the first £8105 is tax free then the tax rate 20%,then after £34,370 the rate rises to 40%. There is also national insurance of around 11%.

What's the "allowance" for? A 17k salary is very low in the UK...I'm not sure what minimum wage is, yearly, but I can't imagine it would be much less that that. 17k is more of a basic secretary type role or a supermarket assistant type role...not middle management for an oil company!
However, if you add on the 3 grand a month, that does bring the salary up to a good level salary (53K in total is a very good salary in the UK)...I'm just a bit surprised that it's being presented as an allowance. It sounds a bit shifty to me. Either way, he'll be paying tax and national insurance contributions on either salary and salaries in the UK are always quoted before tax (so he should expect to be earning between 20-40% less after tax, depending on salary level).

I think the OP means 17K a month, which isn't to bad a starting salary.

If its 17000 + 2-3000 pounds a month. Its terrible. Tell your colleague the following: "Don't take it. As a humanitarian gesture, Nicoenarg will take the job so you don't have to suffer in such horrible economic conditions." ;)

Ashley said:
What's the "allowance" for? A 17k salary is very low in the UK...I'm not sure what minimum wage is, yearly, but I can't imagine it would be much less that that. 17k is more of a basic secretary type role or a supermarket assistant type

THe UK minimum wage for a 40 hour week is £12,875. (£6.19 per hour -From 1st October 2012)

Back