Question about pre paid phones and Skype

kevinscott

Registered
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for a technical question but I'll ask it anyways.

I got a phone on Movistar and charged it with 50 pesos. I received one call (from a foreign number - a Blackberry) and I've been able to receive a bunch of texts here in Argentina.

In Skype, I have an online number - which is based in the US - and if someone calls it, it'll ring Skype. I also have Skype set up to forward this to my local Argentina number if I'm not online. The holy grail is for someone in the States (i.e. a business client) to be able to call my US number and seamlessly ring my Argentinian phone, if I'm not at my desk.

So, the technical question: basically, it's not working :) But here's what's weird: if I send a text to the Argentinian number, from Skype, it works fine. If I try and make a call to the Argentinian number, from Skype, it says the phone number doesn't exist.

What??

I'm wondering if there's something weird about pre paid phones, or something else I'm not aware of. Any technically-minded folks run into anything like this before?

Ciao,

Kevin

I assume the forwarding number has the correct format? For cell phones, it's:

011 54 9 11 XXXX XXXX

where the last 8 digits are your number. Can you call that directly from Skype and have your cell phone ring? It should work the same, so it's a bit weird that a text works and a call does not.

Oh man that was exactly it! Thanks Sleuth. I was leaving out both the 011 and the 9. Now it works fine.

kevinscott said:
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for a technical question but I'll ask it anyways.

In Skype, I have an online number - which is based in the US - and if someone calls it, it'll ring Skype. I also have Skype set up to forward this to my local Argentina number if I'm not online. The holy grail is for someone in the States (i.e. a business client) to be able to call my US number and seamlessly ring my Argentinian phone, if I'm not at my desk.

Kevin

Hi. If you will be here, more that one month or receive many many calls, I can explain a local service (camundanet.com)

camundanet charges you:
0.073 PESOS or 0.017 U$S forwarding to landline
0.344 PESOS or 0.080 U$S forwarding to mobile

Its very interesting because they support: forwarding for free from or to skype, gtalk

Also they have a number in every city in the world + an extension number and they deliver to anywhere

Back