Question about purchasing spices or bringing them in.

dehydrated garlic in minced and flake form seems super common, i see those everywhere. it's just the powder form that seems less common.

in any case, NAVE has it so i have a source there :)

bay leaf can be found yep.

sage and cilantro, really depends. fresh herbs can be hit or miss availability at jumbo, unfortunately i dont live near a good verdularia either.

bring everything you love.... yes you can search go to 20 health food stores and maybe find this or that.....

i love spice and hot food... so to put some cholula on some fries or franks red hot sauce on a chicken milenesa is very important to me i bring everything i really like nobody cares....i bring it every year... basically one luggage is spice and sauces hahaha

but dont expect anything but the basics here.... it is so easy to hit a 99 cent store in the usa get 7 basic spices... get what you love. i found siracha hot sauce the other day here but like 4 times the cost of the usa the food is amazing here in argentina but can be very much the same.... a little hot sauce is a nice treat..... cheers

Can you find bay leaves, sage, and also cilantro in a store?
Bay leaves ("Laurel") are not difficult to find, sage I'm not sure, and cilantro (coriander) can be found, not in stores, but in vegetable shops ("verdulerias") that are run by Bolivians, which is most of them I think. You won't get lucky in any run by Argentinians.

El Gato Negro on Corrientes has a huge selection of spices. I found Zatar there.
This place?
If so, that's only 4 blocks straight south of the big WU office on Cordoba, easy walk from my house. The biggest frustration for me has been not finding Paprika. Garlic powder they regularly have at my local verduleria. But Zatar would be great!

Back