Question - Balvanera "rincón"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!
I'm a newcomer on this forum and planning my move to BA in early July. I've been looking a lot on compartodepto to rent a room, which of course I won't make a commitment on until visiting the places! But I wondered if anyone could tell me if the neighborhood Balvanera Rincón is safe for a young girl (22) traveling alone.

I would say if it is on the same block as cafe "Los Angelitos" (Rincon & Rivadavia), then go for it. A couple of blocks from Rivadavia do make a difference, though. What is the exact location?

In any case, having Los Angelitos, Bellagamba and El Espanol in the walking distance is a plus. Almost always there is free entertainment by the Congreso building. If you are into architecture, this area is incomparably more interesting than modern panel buildings in Palermo.

It is a lower working class neighborhood. No chic and splendor but authentic place with people living their regular lives. As to the safety, and whether it is less safe than other places so beloved by many expats, it is questionable. There is no reliable crime statistics. I doubt that probability of getting robbed on the street is higher here than in Recoleta nowadays.

And as other said, you'd better stay in a hotel for a few days, take a look yourself and decide what you want. Renting an apartment without visiting the neighborhood first and is not a good option.

Henry B is right on the money, if the address is Rincón 0-100 or MAYBE 100-150 I would say you are okay, (I live a few blocks from here, Male, 43 years old, bi-lingual have lived here for 7 years. There are not very many people in your age range or situation in this neighborhood, anybody your age will be living at home with their parents, very little nightlife but great architecture and always an interesting (and sometimes very noisy) protest around the Congreso Nacional. If I were your age I wouldn't pick this neighborhood probably. I live here because there are nice big apartments for half the price of other neighborhoods and it's convenient for me. There is also good shopping and prices are reasonable in the stores- If I were young and still into nightlife I would pick one of the Palermos or Barrio Norte.

Personally, I find Recoleta boring.
I was reminded of Jorge Luis Borges’ writings on the plain facades of Buenos Aires. The author disliked the fussy, Frenchified airs of the richer central barrios, preferring the “literary possibilities of the disreputable, humble suburbs”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/southamerica/argentina/9930114/Buenos-Aires-walking-tour-of-the-historic-barrios.html

Henry B is right on the money, if the address is Rincón 0-100 or MAYBE 100-150 I would say you are okay, (I live a few blocks from here, Male, 43 years old, bi-lingual have lived here for 7 years. There are not very many people in your age range or situation in this neighborhood, anybody your age will be living at home with their parents, very little nightlife but great architecture and always an interesting (and sometimes very noisy) protest around the Congreso Nacional. If I were your age I wouldn't pick this neighborhood probably. I live here because there are nice big apartments for half the price of other neighborhoods and it's convenient for me. There is also good shopping and prices are reasonable in the stores- If I were young and still into nightlife I would pick one of the Palermos or Barrio Norte.

Not much open space, either.

I enjoy Palermo, though.
Apart from the parks and green spaces, I like Recoleta more than Palermo, because there's more interesting architecture and more buzz. I enjoy both the Buenos Aires of the small, quiet streets in poorer barrios and the version with the posh avenues you find in Recoleta. These things completely depend on my mood at a particular time, but generally, I tend to find Palermo a bit boring.

Anyway: I also like Almagro, I find it a bit more welcoming in a certain sense than Balvanera.

Thanks everyone! I did some research and decided that yeah, it's probably not the best. The ad said it's a couple blocks from Congreso Nacional and that doesn't sound like a good place to be for me.
I am planning to stay in a hostel (hotels are out of my price range) for a week or so while I try to find a place. But it's reassuring to know that so many people have answered my question here.
I want to find a place where there are young people and things to do (at night and in day), but I am turned off by the "frenchified" or snobby airs of Recoleta. I'm sure I'll get a better idea once I've gotten there.
I'm also seeing a lot of listings for Belgrano, which I hear is safe but kind of out of the way. What do you think?
Thanks again!

Thanks everyone! I did some research and decided that yeah, it's probably not the best. The ad said it's a couple blocks from Congreso Nacional and that doesn't sound like a good place to be for me.
I am planning to stay in a hostel (hotels are out of my price range) for a week or so while I try to find a place. But it's reassuring to know that so many people have answered my question here.
I want to find a place where there are young people and things to do (at night and in day), but I am turned off by the "frenchified" or snobby airs of Recoleta. I'm sure I'll get a better idea once I've gotten there.
Thanks again!
I still guess Palermo would be the best option for people of your age. But yes, just visit the place and trust your instinct.

Anyway, I'd advise you to not let yourself be turned off by anything before actually going there in person.

I'm also seeing a lot of listings for Belgrano, which I hear is safe but kind of out of the way. What do you think?
Thanks again!

Belgrano.... far far away, bring your Galoches? and yellow Mackintoshes :D, choose a higher floor. Not an option. San Telmo an option for the pseudo-Bohemian crowd. Palermo is your Only option ....!!! :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back