Question - Balvanera "rincón"

Status
Not open for further replies.
24 hr security is not a must, and they don`t DO anything frankly. Believe me, when I lived in Almagro my boyfriend`s car was parked outside of the building about 3m from the front door, 24 hrs security guy on duty just stood there and watched while a guy broke into it, didn`t even bother to buzz me to tell us, when we went down and saw the whole windshield broken, the entire dash dismantled and the stereo gone, the security just said, yeah well I saw the guy but what was I going to do.

24hr security is just as likely to let someone come in to rob your place as they are to keep them out if you ask me.

I do agree Absto at night is not at all a nice place to walk around, but to not venture off of Sta Fe unless in a cab is a little bit paranoid.(If you were talking about wandering around Corrientes or Rivadavia in certain areas, I`d agree. Sta Fe and the areas surrounding are generally ok)

I lived Almagro for 1.5 yrs, it`s ok, it`s not the `best best BEST`of Buenos Aires, it`s a little strange the amount of screaming going on about that. It`s fine, it`s nothing special if you ask me. I also moved from there to Las Canitas and didn`t expect to like Canitas so much, thought it would be stuck up, it`s not -- it`s more the people that come to eat dinner at CampoBravo that are the snobs, but the actual people that live in Canitas for the large part are pretty normal professionals, people think it`s super snobby but actually most of the apartments in there are teensy and a large portion are rentals -- ie in our building out of the 18 or 20 units only 2 were owners -- the real people with money live in Palermo Chico parts of Belgrano, places like Barrio Ingles in Caballito (Caballito does not suck by the way, you`re obviously just looking for something else, but it`s a very nice place to live, nice parks, nice schools).

ChicaArgentina is obviously a big advocate for Almagro, but you`re going to have to decide for yourself. Also a barrio that you think is perfect for you at one point in life is not what you want later on etc -- look at Iznogud that`s moved around the city, and myself that started in San Cristobal, then near Alto Palermo, then Soho, then Almagro, then Canitas, and now Villa Urquiza. By the way I could go on about how our area of Urquiza rocks too but I don`t need to.

Also, Belgrano doesn`t all flood. That is a huge generalization -- if you`re from here I can understand saying Blanco Encalada floods, but Belgrano is a huge neighbourhood, to sum it up as an area that floods is a bit of an exaggeration.

Syngirl I quite agree with you , the fact that your car was broken into proves Almagro is NOT safe... :D The security guards are not responsible for what happens in the street... :cool: Believe me if worse comes to worse I'll move to Almagro to a building without 24 hour security and save US$300 per month..!1 :rolleyes:

General rule of thumb, life gets nicer based on which side of the avenues you're on. With the notable exception of caballito and to a lesser extent santelmi , wrong side of rivadavia youre in the ghetto. South of corrientes not as bad but still, eek. On the right side of corrientes much better, kind of dark and grimey though.Right side of cordoba and you're moving we'll into trendy argentine yuppielandia. Passing Santa Feand were getting a little nicer, moving up the social ladder a bit but it doesn't get really good till were past las heras/campos/cabildo-postcampos, now were talking, pretty nice, noticeable decreases in dog poop. Of course once we're on the river side of liberatador, it starts getting much quieter, and greener, this is petitebourgeville speckled with the remnants of the argentine aristocracy, and ignoring for a second villa 31, if you're past alcorta...wow!

If your are on the Cordoba side of Santa Fe Av. you are on the wrong side of the tracks.... :p

If your are on the Cordoba side of Santa Fe Av. you are on the wrong side of the tracks.... :p

Wanna know what right side of the tracks is? When your supermarket sells spare maid uniforms. (Disco, Callao & Posadas)

IMAGE_80D04CD5-A5B8-4150-A2E3-E1D7FC0DEF67.JPG

Wanna know what right side of the tracks is? When your supermarket sells spare maid uniforms. (Disco, Callao & Posadas)

Good data Phillip ! Do they carry "French Maid" Uniforms? :D , as I only have a weekly cleaning lady...!!
The "right side of the tracks" is where YOU sit in your corner caffe and feel You belong there....! as simple as that! IMO.

Caballito is crap. What could you possibly like about that neighbourhood?

Your kids must have lived in the wrong part of Almagro. The part im talking about is the best part of the city.

LOL. I guess Almagro is a huge improvement over MDQ, yet still a long ways from Caballito.
:p

Caballito is known as a "wannabe" neighbourhood. You might not know it cause you are not from here. Caballito wannabe Recoleta, but is clearly NOT. Caballito wannabe Palermo but is clearly NOT. Caballito cafes and bars are stuck in the nineties, with all that bright light, and full of wannabe people that think they are living in Recoleta. Also full of snobbish old ladies that dream of living in Alvear Avenue. But, hey, maybe thats YOUR thing, to each his own.

Almagro is a young neighbourhood, not pretentions, full of artsy cafes, bars and theathers. A completely different thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back