Question for Americans:Voting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyer4ever

Registered
(By "American" I mean from the United States - trained myself)
I know I'm a bit early, but just want to get organized.
Have any of you ever gone through the absentee ballot process?
How annoying/complicated is it?
Tips/suggestions appreciated (sarcasm/ mean comments - put it in your pocket and save it for another day;)

nyer4ever said:
(By "American" I mean from the United States - trained myself)
I know I'm a bit early, but just want to get organized.
Have any of you ever gone through the absentee ballot process?
How annoying/complicated is it?
Tips/suggestions appreciated (sarcasm/ mean comments - put it in your pocket and save it for another day;)

Voting for Obama in California
http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/elections_mov.htm
Voting for some other person maybe someone will Google it for you. Doh!

My wife and a friend did it at the US embassy in '08 in BA and it was very easy.

RichardP said:
My wife and a friend did it at the US embassy in '08 in BA and it was very easy.

Not completely true.

NOTE: You have to already have your Absentee Ballot from your precinct in the States so that you can vote on Election Day.

It is not like you walk in, show your driver's license and vote.

You have to first register with your precinct in the States and THEN they send you your ballot. THEN you fill it out and can take it by the Embassy any time and they will send it back to the States for free.

One your ballot gets to the States, it will only be opened if there is a recount in your State for the highest office being decided in that election. Otherwise, your vote goes into the trash.

And since Florida 2000 isn't that common, most probably your vote will never be counted. BUT... I vote anyway. Even though there's no way in hell that there will be a recount in Texas. Not in a million years... pero bueno.

So if you are interested in voting in the US Presidential Election in November, YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR HOME PRECINCT IN THE STATES AND FIND OUT WHAT YOU NEED TO DO.

This usually takes over a month, so I would do it SOONER rather than later.

suerte

[b said:
So if you are interested in voting in the US Presidential Election in November, YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR HOME PRECINCT IN THE STATES AND FIND OUT WHAT YOU NEED TO DO.[/b]

This usually takes over a month, so I would do it SOONER rather than later.

Thanks, will start the process now! Will be an interesting exercise to measure efficiency;)

Do they send your ballot to Argentina or can you print it out yourself? Because... if I have to rely on the mail for this, forget it. :p

I'm from "the pregnant chad" state so my vote may yet be counted!

Overseas voters must file the FEDERAL POST CARD APPLICATION annually in January for REGISTRATION AND ABSENTEE BALLOT REQUEST for the current year elections. I've used this system for obtaining absentee ballots since I moved to Buenos Aires, with the exception of 2012.

The US Embassy hosts a "Voting Day" in early October from 9-noon before the presidential election. There wasn't a large turnout on October 4, 2012, but all still had to complete the FPCA along with an absentee ballot for delivery to the county in which one is registered to vote in the presidential election.

For those who want to vote in a primary election during 2016, here is information on registration.

I found a helpful site where you complete the FPCA in pdf format to print and mail in 2016. www.overseasvotefoundation.org/vote/home.htm offers nonpartisan voter services for US citizens. Select voter registration/absentee ballot request and answer the questions. The system generates a completed form which you can download, print, sign and mail to the county voting official where you are registered.

My application is ready to print, sign, and then mail with a friend returning in December to the USA, where it can be mailed without postage. I want to be registered so that I can vote in the Illinois primary election on March 15, 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back