Questions Regarding Long Term Rental

cruizes

Registered
I found a nice apartment in Palermo for a long term rental (1 year mimimum). The only catch, which I didn't mind, was to prepay 6 months plus 1 month security deposit.

I just received an email from the owner and said that in Argentina all rents are paid between the 1st and the 5th of the month PERIOD even though my rent would not be due until June 17, 2011 (after the 6 months prepay)

What is the norm? Is the owner correct?

I can only speak from personal experience but I would never ever ever pay more than 1 month..it's just too easy to get ripped off by some scumbag.

I pay one month, then after a week if everything is working and everything is good I send an email: "hey i was thinking about staying longer, maybe 1 more month..?"

They will never ever kick out a paying client for an unknown making a booking from USA, so dont worry.

Repeat this for as many months as you want to stay. or ignore me!! It's up to you !!!

If its a furnished apartment I think by law the longest term it can be rented for on a single contract is 6 months, over that you would need 2 contracts....

I've rented long term (2 years unfurnished) with a guarantor and the rent was payable each month based on when I started the contract NOT between the 1st - 5th month.

Sounds dodgy to me.....

have you seen a copy of the contract?

I was working in Rosario for 9 months and I have been renting a casa-quinta. I had to totally furnish it. Consequently, I have all my own furniture, right down to a new gas oven. I also have a dog.

I was thinking of setting up a share house but cannot afford to put up all the money nor assume all the financial risks. But if there is anyone else interested, talk to me. I have a garantia for the capital, courteousy of a friend of mine in Caballito.

I plan to stay in Argentina for another 12 months. I also have permanent residence status (due to a previous marriage). Cheeeers. Liam. Tel (0341)-15-211-0882

cats are OK - purrr
dogs are OK - wooof

cruizes said:
I found a nice apartment in Palermo for a long term rental (1 year mimimum). The only catch, which I didn't mind, was to prepay 6 months plus 1 month security deposit.

I just received an email from the owner and said that in Argentina all rents are paid between the 1st and the 5th of the month PERIOD even though my rent would not be due until June 17, 2011 (after the 6 months prepay)

What is the norm? Is the owner correct?

To pay in advance is forbidden by law.
There are 2 different kind of contract:
1) Short term mean less than 6 months;
2) Long term means no less no more than 2 years.

If you pay in advance it might be a fraud. This is not standard.
I am a local lawyer. Don´t do it.
Regards

There is no reason to pay for six months up front. The only time I have heard of that being legal, is for people who can't get a guarantee for a 2 year rental. I would never pay 6 months up front for a furnished apartment. If something gets broken, they will not fix it. They will have no reason to since you have paid for 6 months.

I know of no law saying that rent must be paid on a certain day. The only laws regarding short term rentals are that the contract can be no longer than 6 months and that payment MUST be paid in dollars (however, many people are fine with payments in pesos).

I wouldn't rent an apartment like that. And I strongly recommend that you don't either.

Well, everything depends. I have no guarantee and to rent my house, I offered to pay a full year in advance BUT I knew a bit the owners before + I negotiated the rent saying that paying in advance = gain regarding inflation = 25% off.

It all depends on the situation & trust you have

Back