Quick Question - The Golden Age For Expats In Ba

The honest and unemotional answer to your question is [if you earn dollars] 1997 to 2005. The Pollyannas will tell you that today is the best of all days and there cannot be any day better. zip ideee doooo da, fa la la

The great years were up to 2006 when inflation started to grow. Before that, it was insanly cheap.
One thing I dont understand from you guys is when you say that today crime has increased. Crime was a lot higher after the 2001 crash, years 2002 to 2005, we had unemployment, much more poverty, people begging in every caffe, in every corner... it was way more insecure. Today, we have 10 years of economic growth, with huge social plans, so the logic is it must have improoved this issue, and in fact I think it did.
I dont consider BsAs an unsafe city, its a megalopolis where more than 14 million live, so dont expect crime zero, but considering its size, I found it overall safe.

Here is safer than Detroit...!! The Golden Age is yet to come....! Wait till Dec 2014 . A whole New World.

Personally, I follow the advice of Ram Das.
Be Here Now.

NOPLACE is ever as good now as it was in the memory of bitter expats.

things are still quite reasonable here, by world standards. I feel safer on the collectivo in BsAs today than I would on the bus in Seattle- a buddy of mine up there got violently jacked for his smartphone last week.

Everything is relative.
And I like it when my relatives are a long way away...

Ries, was your friend in this video?! http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/20/video-seattle-bus-passengers-overpower-armed-robber-4238335/

The early to mid-2000s before BA became hip and pricey. B&Bs in Palermo for $40 a night and only grass-fed steaks!!

I was having coffee on Av. Santa Fe with my friend Jorge Luis in December 1940. We had just received word of our friend Scott's passing and agreed that the Golden Age for expats in Buenos Aires was 1931-1937. We lamented not joining Scott and Ernest in Paris in the 20's. Now THAT was the Golden Age of expats!

Yeah for sure Scott and Ernest - I loved those guys.

Ries, was your friend in this video?! http://metro.co.uk/2...robber-4238335/

nope. totally different incident. guns on seattle buses are not that uncommon- usually there is an incident every month or two.
I have never felt the least bit unsafe on a collectivo in Buenos Aires, no matter the time or place. I took the 160 all the way out to Remedios de Escalada on Saturday, not dodgy in the least, even though you could see a villa or two out the window.
But in virtually every city in the USA, there are bus routes I would not ride in broad daylight.

Call me pollyana.

One thing that this thread kind of ignores, in its eternal pursuit of cheapness, is quality of life. For instance, I started coming to BsAs in 2007. Many things were definitely cheaper. But not always better. The overall quality of food here, both ingredients and in restaurants, has gone up since then, even if the availability of one item, grass fed beef, has declined.
Much more organic food is here now, better selections of artisan beers, unpasterized milk, and in general, quality food.

Some people, all they care about is how cheap things are.
Buenos Aires today is not the place for them.

But overall, a lot of things are better here now.

Back