Quickest Way To Uruguay-Has Anyone Tried Crossing Bridges

jbhenson

Registered
I want to drive to Uruguay and wondered if anyone tried crossing the bridge at Puente Libertador General San Martín or if there is anyway to it at all. There is another bridge at Puente Internacional General Artigas so my question is has anyone tried crossing here? I want to go but not on ferry. Any help appreciated.

I went once a few years ago from Colon to Paysandu but on a public bus, not with a car

No one try it?
Last year we rented a car and went to Gualeguaychú and crossed near there. All we did was cross the border and make a u-turn and returned to AR. If you want to take a rental car into Uruguay you have to let the rental company know ahead of time and, of course, pay extra. No charge for the u-turn. Also, if you plan to go thru Gualeguaychú I hear they have an excellent Marde Gra (sp) parade and celebration every Sat in Feb +/-. Also nice park along the river. A long ride but fun and we saw some more of the country.

Tom

Just found this.

http://www.carnavalargentina.com.ar/gualeguaychu.php

Carnival now thru end of Feb.

Last summer we drove from BA to Concordia, Entre Rios. Crossed that bridge onto Salto, Uruguay. That non-stop leg of the trip took us 7 hrs. Spent the day in Salto. Nice small town with healthy number of tourists all year round. Food and accommodations...expensive. Particularly popular with the Brazilians. Drove that night to Colonia where my ARG family has a summer property. That part of the trip was about a 2 hr. drive. Normally my family takes the ferry and brings along their car filled with supplies for the house.

I do cross the bridge and go to Uruguay by car every 4 months, and I have done it zillions times in my life. Ask me what you want.

I do cross the bridge and go to Uruguay by car every 4 months, and I have done it zillions times in my life. Ask me what you want.

So long as the piqueteros are not throwing tantrums, it should be routine to cross any of the bridges.

Only done it at Gualeguaychu/Fray Bentos - not sure about the crossing you speak of.

I went Yesterday, we bought a few hotdogs, milenasa at little square in fray Bentos. Lots of banks that dispense US dollars. The trip is a pretty drive in the country. The people in Uruguay are nice helpful, and the prices on electronics seem cheaper. I had issues coming back over the border seems like every-time I come into Argentina they detain me and my son saying there is an issue with the "TAX" we paid that's supposed to be good for 10 years. At any rate I want to go back there its very pretty and Id like to buy some stuff. Thanks for your replies to all of you!

Back